Cams for D14

lakaiD14

Re: Cams for D14

Post by lakaiD14 »

i agree, but i'm not a big fan of welding, i'm die-builder and cnc miller so i know a thing or 2 about steel/metal/hardening etc... and if i'm right a stock cam is hard chromed on the surface or only hardned and grinded to size.

welding extracts carbon and chrome out of material so the surface is much weaker when it is welded, so yes thnx for the info for a regrind level 1/2 i will concider that option.

if i wanted a level 3 or 4 cam i definitely would have bought a brand new cam core because when u need a cam like that you probably have spend enough money on your engine so the costs of a new cam core is the option to go for.

my cam needs a bit more overlap but i'm not sure. within a week i will have the exact info for a cam profile for my engine.. i wil tell my info here and we will discuss the options. :P
"some have dreams, mine is reality :P"

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

i just have visited the bisimoto website and maybe i'm gonna purchase/regrind a level2 d14cam with the bisimoto valvesprings (you dont have to use other retainers :D)

but i don't know if the springs match a D14 engine because they are ment for d15/d16....

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

I think that they match

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

D14 uses Y-series springs , i allready got my oem D14 springs and retainers tested when i first shipped in my D14 cam for level 1 regrind back then .Bisi has tested them and said Y series springs are the same and from experience he could tell me that the stock springs could handle 7700rpm .

Another note whenever Bisimoto/webcam regrinds a stock cam or hardwelds them they always heat treat them again and do several different processes with the cam to give it back it's oem realiability.That's why i said they just dont weld or grind the cam and leave it like that.No Cam company does that in these days anymore,those cams would all fail if they didn't treated them properly.Heck my Regrinded D14 Level 1 and my current level 2 cam from Bisi got an entire moly coating over them to reduce wear .If they would just hard weld the cam and leave it like that you would get austinite material that would be doomed to fail in time.
Welded material is always stronger the the material that is being welded.
Is much harder ,that's one of the first things you learn about welding.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

the weld is indeed harder then the welded material BUT when welding you extract the materials carbon an chrome out of the welded material into the weld. and indeed iff you don't heat treat your cam after welding you have the fragile but very (almost to) hard austenite...

but the springs bisimoto offers will fit my engine? if that is true i certainly concider a level 2 regrind together with the bisimoto springs because for my setup titanium retainers are a little over the top...

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Nice to know the 7700 rpm! That is going to be the rev limit for my girls D14A4 soon :mrgreen: .

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Lol You can try Dodo if it still makes Hp up there :D
I know another guy who had pushed them up to 8000rpm ,but the valves will float at 8K rpm.So i guess that's why Bisi said 7700rpm safe with stock cam or level 1 cam.
@Lakai i'm using Bisi's Y series springs too with my level 2 regrind.They are being installed as we spreak.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I am really confident the engine starts to choke on itself hehehehe. Think so to that Bisi puts some safety on that number.

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

nice to know, then i know what the next engine project will be :P

but first bottomend, this week my coated pistons will be delivered:D

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

i have always wanted to purchase the 2nd stage cam kit from bisi. Do you consider organising a group buy?