New Springs with OEM damper?

From soft stock to hardcore track, what do you use?
Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: New Springs with OEM damper?

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Depends on the problem, with the EJ9 sidewards is a good thing, with the EJ1 straight as an arrow since its lowest points is practically in the middle between the front wheels.

jangz

Post by jangz »

Are there any stiffer/firm springs at the OEM height for our EJ9 Civic?

I used to have Tein S springs they were good but wouldn't recommend this to anyone as they completely screwed up my shocks sagged.

They did have a subtle drop which was nice but I was hoping to get some springs that will improve handling without the need of coil-overs as I don't have that sort of money plus i don't intend to change ride height and have lots of speed bumps here in the UK.

Are there any that will help lessen the body roll at the corners? I do have sway bars front and back 26mm front and 24mm rear but wanted a little more improvement with new springs.

Any suggestion? Im not sure if Eibach will be firm enough and I dont want to suffer the same end/issue like the Tein S I had.
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

You have an interesting set up due to swaybar combo. Despite that, you feel it has body roll in corners? I guess you shouldn't as the tein springs must be similar at spring rates to the ek9 ones. Do you consider getting some ek9 springs?

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

The way is to go with ek9 or dc2 springs.
Ek9 gas little bit softer springs than dc2 but I suggest to add a nice set of shock absorbers too, like koni or OEM ek9 ones

jangz

Post by jangz »

I should have been a little more clear the Tein S were on my previous Civic 98 model and screwed up my shocks. They did handle nice but was a little soft for my liking

My current Civic 99 model has OEM shocks/springs with both ARB 26mm front and 24mm rear, and they are amazing. However at high speed or fast twitch/weaving the OEM setup is not good with ARBs, it does corner nice with little roll but with better springs would make it a great deal better over all.

The DC2 springs are they lower and if so will they deteriorate my socks like other lowering springs?

I am really tight for cash so everything is done on a budget at the moment
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

dc2 springs has spring rate of 4.4 kg both front and rear, so oem ej9 shocks can't handle these springs.
They must fit either with ek9 shocks or aftermarket ones like koni yellows, bilstein sport, tein etc.
dc2 springs lower the car about 1.5cm at front and 1-1.5cm at rear axle

Symon

Post by Symon »

BETEK wrote:dc2 springs has spring rate of 4.4 kg both front and rear, so oem ej9 springs can't handle these springs.
They must fit either with ek9 shocks or aftermarket ones like koni yellows, bilstein sport, tein etc.
dc2 springs lower the car about 1.5cm at front and 1-1.5cm at rear axle
You probably wanted to say oem EJ9 shocks not springs? I had DC2 springs with EJ9 shocks and it worked OK. One week ago I fitted DC2 front shocks, car is rock solid now. DC2 springs lowers about 2cm, i'd say it looks 1cm lower than stock 1,6 VTi. Also, install rear and front VTi sway bar. With only rear, car is realy to much tail happy for good lap times. It's fun, but i wouldn't suggest it to everyone. Check my topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=914&start=29

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Symon wrote: You probably wanted to say oem EJ9 shocks not springs?
yes I mean shocks of ej9 can't handle the dc2 springs properly and will fail faster as they will with oem ej9 springs