Installing sway bars on a 97 EJ9 (no sway bars as standard)

From soft stock to hardcore track, what do you use?
antc_uk

Installing sway bars on a 97 EJ9 (no sway bars as standard)

Post by antc_uk »

Hi guys,

I've searched the pages here and dont seem to be able to find informatino on this. My Civic is a 97 and doesnt come with any sway bars.

From what I understand I need to install lower control arms on my front/back suspension that the sway bar linkages connect to. Is this true?

Also, what do people prefer here balance wise? I definately want a front bar to tighten up the turn in and sharpen the feel/feedback of the car but what does a rear bar do for handling?

thanks for any advice guys

BETEK

Re: Installing sway bars on a 97 EJ9 (no sway bars as standard)

Post by BETEK »

Yes it is good idea to put sway bars at ek.
To drop them up you need the brackets, bolts and of course the sway bars :) .
A cheep choice is from vti ek used both (front-rear) sway bars, but if you want you can find at web more aftermarket options with bigger diameter sway bars.
And the best option is from ek9 type r, it has good sway bars (front 26mm and the rear 22mm) for anti-rolling.

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Body Roll of the car is my biggest problem i must say...
It is not necessary to change lower arms, you can just weld the fitting for the sway bar on you stock LCAs...
Here in Portugal is being difficult to find those bars...
Especially front ones !
Cheers

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

give us a photo to check it out. You can compare with my photos at another topic.

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

Law_ wrote:Body Roll of the car is my biggest problem i must say...
It is not necessary to change lower arms, you can just weld the fitting for the sway bar on you stock LCAs...
Here in Portugal is being difficult to find those bars...
Especially front ones !
Cheers
I already have the back ek4 swaybar installed, it is bolt on. and I bought front ek4 sway bar also, just need to buy end links ans weld fittings on the lca's has you say!

just need some time and tim€ :lol:

btw, the rear sway bar it's a "must have", the handling feels completely different!

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Oxigen_cult wrote:
I already have the back ek4 swaybar installed, it is bolt on. and I bought front ek4 sway bar also, just need to buy end links ans weld fittings on the lca's has you say!

btw, the rear sway bar it's a "must have", the handling feels completely different!
Really? i must def. get my hands on one of those ! And they do look good ! Dont know why civics have that horrible rear bumper though... Maybe is to show off rear independent suspension :D

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Law_ wrote:
Oxigen_cult wrote:

Really? i must def. get my hands on one of those ! And they do look good ! Dont know why civics have that horrible rear bumper though... Maybe is to show off rear independent suspension :D
hehe yea :D
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

Law_ wrote:
Oxigen_cult wrote:

really, before i just listening one tire making noise, after the sway bar i can listening 3/4 some times :mrgreen: and a very a neutral car feeling.

antc_uk

Post by antc_uk »

ill get hold of a picture of my LCAs soon. So its a straight swap with a VTI EK LCA at the front to install them? So I could go to scrap yard, get 2X vti front LCAs along with the linkages and sway bar and just bolt them on? I'd probably change the bushings too while i'm at it...

What about the rear one - different LCA too if i dont want to weld?

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

the rear is the easiest bolt on. You don't have to change the lca. As for the front one we will have to check them out