Aligning

From soft stock to hardcore track, what do you use?
hondaNickx

Re: Aligning

Post by hondaNickx »

I was just reading some alignment specs of my car years ago.This was when i lowered it about 7-8cm from stock.I want the car back to this rideheight and i want to get SPC camber kits to get all the alignments correct.

The specs i had back then where

Front camber :
Left: -1° 59'
Right: -1°56'

Rear camber:
Left: -2°10'
Right: -2°29'

Front toe in/out:
Left: -0°19'
Right: -0°10'
total: -0°29'

Rear toe in/out:
Left: 0°10'
Right: 0°08'
Total: 0°18'

Now the spc rear camber can adjust more then enough from -2° to +5°
but the front has different kind of adustments.Full adjustable arms or ball joints .The ball joint can adjust from -1,50° to +1.50° .I'm expecting the alignment to be around the same specs or a little more so around -1.5° to -2° camber in the front.I was wondering if 0.5° camber would be a good setting or is 0 degrees still better ?I dont do much highway driving ,and i like taking turns.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Ok i did a little research myself and i allready found a good guideline to begin with from Whiteline Flat out.

Suggested Wheel Alignment Settings for Honda Civic EJ/EK 96-00

Handling Pack
front Camber (4) - degrees -0.75 to -1.25
front Caster - degrees max
front Toe - mm/side 0
rear Camber (4) - degrees -1 to -1.25
rear Caster - degrees n/a
rear Toe - mm/side 0

Sport pack
front Camber (4) - degrees -1.25 to -1.75
front Toe - mm/side 0
rear Camber (4) - degrees -1.25 to -1.75
rear Toe - mm/side -0.5

Race pack
front Camber (4) - degrees -1.75 to -3
front Toe - mm/side -0.5
rear Camber (4) - degrees -1.75 to -2.5
rear Toe - mm/side -1

http://www.whiteline.com.au/search.php
http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/arti ... susp_1.jpg
http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/arti ... susp_2.jpg
http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/arti ... susp_3.jpg

http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/arti ... ing_32.jpg
http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/arti ... ng_32b.jpg

These settings are more for when you have installed energy suspension bushing in the lower control arms and suchs.A much stiffer ride then stock.
I won't go to max caster either but i will try the max setting that honda gives which is 2°40'.There should also be a slight Toe Out on cars that use the OEM bushings to compensate for the front wheels .Cause they will pull themselves forward in the wheel wells under acceleration.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Question, I never understand toe-in given in mm, what is the reference in these case? Mm per meter?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Well most of the DIY aligningments involves using tape measures to measure the difference on the front side of the wheel and the backside of the wheel ,this gives them toe-in or out in mm .So i'm guessing that's why they are given in mm ?
One thing i did found out is that you could use shims on the rear suspension arm to compensate for too much camber.A lot cheaper solution then buying a 100euro adjustable arm.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Sometimes solutions are so damn easy :mrgreen: ... shims, good idea!

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

guys i have a problem these days. I feel that the car has lowered a lot more, probably due to some top mounts going softer. As a result it has become a lot understeerish and more unstable an the rear, which is very annoying. I feel that i have destroyed the roll center but i cant verify that. I have some custom top mounts with which i can raise the height more as it is a bit difficult from the coilovers (they are set at the highest level now).
Also i have raised the rear comparing to the front axle for about 1cm. I feel that this is mistaken for our cars. Any comments on that?

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

You mention a big problem for the civics. The suspension system is big deal.
Yes I believe is better to have the same hight both rear and front.
The civics have from the factory understeering suspension that is difficult to correct.
I used to have polyurethane silent blocks (big one) at the rear trailing arm and the car tail go exactly where I want. But to due the fact that they were hard I change them to the oem one :(
The tyres you have might are old and the car understeers.
Also the tyres pressure can affect.
My car has now the same issue with yours, I am thinking to put new tyres and bigger size 205/50 R15

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Tyres are good, i also have hard bushings and bigger swaybars. Some months ago the car handled superb. No understeer at all and oversteer only when you wanted. I am sure it is a matter of balance between the front and the rear. I will try to play with the height between front and rear. Front camber is at 1.50 and rear and 2.50.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

I think that the springs is the issue.
What springs do you have? What are their rates?
The civic is good to have hard springs at the front. Because the most load is at the front of the car.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Buddy Club coilovers. 10K front 7 Rear.