Electric hydraulic power steering conversion (EHPS)

From soft stock to hardcore track, what do you use?
hondaNickx

Electric hydraulic power steering conversion (EHPS)

Post by hondaNickx »

I've been working on this conversion for some while now and i did this in order to install my Bisimoto header and still keep power steering.

I opted to install a Toyota MR2 Spyder (2000-2005) ZZW30 Electric power steering pump.

Here's all the information on the pumps :

EHPS Redone - Honda-Tech

Power steering in your EK. - Page 2 - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Here's where i got so far .
I made a bracket to support the pump.Bracket is sandblasted and metal coated for rust .Then spray painted it with heat resistant black.

I used revet plugs with M8 thread .We use these at my work too and they don't rust either .

Bracket in , fits great.

Pump in place ,placed hydraulic hose next to it just to see if it all fits .

Removed the Toyota on the cap too :p

The things i like most about this pump is that it shuts itself down from the moment i doesn't detect any load .So only when parking the car or making tight turns the pump starts pumping ,from the moment you're making speed it shut itself down to a minimum.You can hook this pump up to your VSS signal so it can read when your car makes speed.So this is like having power steering when parking and no power steering when normal driving ,for better steering feel.

The old coolant reservoir needs to be removed to the other side where the AC radiator used to be.I'm currently making a custom aluminium coolant tank so the box sits far enough away from the header.
As i do with many or all of my mods i like to retain the OEM parts or capabilities If something did went wrong i could always set it back oem.
In this case i opted to make a adaptor block so i could screw in the oem power steering hose to a aftermarket power steering hose that fits onto my Toyota spyder pump.
The small oil cooler i'm using for this pump is small enough so i can actually place it behind the grill out of sight ,and 100% efficient.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

BETEK

Re: Electric hydraulic power steering conversion (EHPS)

Post by BETEK »

Good job.
Did you drive the car, what feedback it gives?

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

nice thought
Up the Rev Limiter !!!!!!

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Thanks for the input! Is it heavier while cornering than our stock?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Guys i still haven't installed it yet ,so i can't say how it works yet.
After winter period i'll install it onto the car and let you know ;)
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

o come on nick :/

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Firebass wrote:o come on nick :/
I know i'm lazy this year :oops: ,haven't really done much on the car.

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

yeah a lazy boy with a perfect car xD

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Firebass wrote:yeah a lazy boy with a perfect car xD
Lol it's far from being perfect :lol:

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Really great mod Nick. Can't wait for the results.