OMI Performance spec SR review

From soft stock to hardcore track, what do you use?
hondaNickx

OMI Performance spec SR review

Post by hondaNickx »

I've drivin this set for about 8 months and i'm very satisfied .Something i discovered just recently is that i'm actually driving with 12K springs front and 8K springs in the rear instead of the 10K front and 8K rear.This was one of the early coilovers that were sold and has to be some mix up in the order.Anyway that has been taken care of by Omi Performance ,so nothing to complain about ;)

My civic at the moment has full interior without AC , front ek9 swaybar with Poly bushings and Hardrace endlinks.Front ek9 strutbar ,rear DIY strutbar and no rear swaybar.With these mods and the 12K springrate front and 8K rear the car handled very neutral.

The 12K front and 8K rear is actually very driveable on the street to my suprise.The only minor downside i experienced was the harshness of the springs on small bumps in the car.
I daily drove this car for 8 months on these springs, experience a lot of shakes and bangs .A plus side on this is that you can drop your car quite low without it rubbing your fenders or splash guards.

In the first month i had a small problem that sounded like the shock was lose in the rear.That actually was the pillow ball nut on top of the coilover that was a little lose ,turned a bit more and problem was solved.That was actually some misunderstanding between me and Omi performance i guess.
He said to turn the nut 1 full turn after installing the coilovers ,and i did that but i think it needs to be turned fully firm in order to keep it seated.I corrected this on all the nuts and never got that sound back.

Despite these little things i never experienced any problems with these coilovers.The rings still turn great and everything still works great.I'm going to change the springs for some softer springs ,don't quite know what springrate i'm going to get but something between 10 - 8K front and 7-6k in the rear.I like how the car handles with the harder spring rate now so i'm not going to get much softer ,just a little for the comfort.
I didn't test the coilovers on a real track or took the time to fully test the dampening settings .Just did a few test with that ,so i can't tell much about that.I will be further testing it next summer . ;)
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Re: OMI Performance spec SR review

Post by saxophonias »

Nice! I m glad you like it ;)
what do you mean by that?
.A plus side on this is that you can drop your car quite low without it rubbing your fenders or splash guards.
4 :roll: :roll:

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Harder springs wil also travel less far with the same amount of weight being transfered on them.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

i see. Clearance is a major problem for me as i have 14inch wheels with 185/55/14 which brings down the car even more. I have to increase the height for 3cm at least. I have big time driving almost everywhere as my cat and mid box are a couple of cms from the ground :cry:

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Nice report Nick. My D2 with springrate 11/7 also travels little. I barely can put my fingers between wheel and fenders at the front. Still I can drive pretty much without problems. Well unless I take a roundabout to the left. Got an imi fender on the right which hits... still have to bend it a little. Before the accident the car was actually even 5mm lower and had less troubles in corners to the left.

So Polivias, if you can opt for increased springrates to fix the low riding issues.