HnR Springs and Bilstein Sprint combo

From soft stock to hardcore track, what do you use?
saxophonias

HnR Springs and Bilstein Sprint combo

Post by saxophonias »

This used to be my first suspension set up which i had from 2002 up to 2008. It run almost 100K km with no issues at all.
First of all the springs.
HnR 3.5mm progressive springs. I don't recall the spring rates exactly but they must have been at around 2.5-3K.
Bilsteins sprints shocks are meant to be used with lowering springs.
Here is the combo
Here at a closer look you have the option to choose a lower position for the spring plate lowering the car more than 3.5cm. By doing that you give preload to the spring.

Now some impressions.
At the beginning i had the car at the default lowering position. So the front axle was sitting higher than the rear one. Apart from looks i didn't worry about it, as the car had lowered equally, maintaining the stock height analogy. Still from general knowledge i knew that this was an understeerish set up which would become even worse when at full load (5 passengers and luggage).
As for driving impressions the ride was quite soft and of high quality (some even didn't realise there was an aftermarket suspension) the rigidity feeling improved and the handling became a lot better. Actually the car maintained its oem character only that the limits were higher.

Some years later i tried to lower the front axle aprx. 1cm while maintaining the rear at the same level. I wanted to try a theoretical more oversteerish set up. The results were quite good indeed, as turn in became better. Still the rear was more sensitive to lift offs and to corner braking. Nothing too worrying or snapping though.

The major drawback of this combo was the somehow bouncy ride. It wasn't very intense, neither would disturb the car's balance during cornering. Still the less bouncy ride could describe the total ride as of perfect quality.
All these years this combination was absolutely problem free. It worked great, no leaks no sudden drop in performance. After all these years the reduction in performance was very gradual and hardly noticeable.
Another thing to mention was a track day i participated in. It was my first time so the times weren't so competitive, but i jad the chance to see how the suspension performed. After plenty of laps in high temperatures the performance of the shocks wasn't reduced at all, during laps. I was amazed by that, indicating right oil properties and good shock piston function.
Furthermore this combo is very economical. You can get it for no more than 550e.

I still have them in my garage and i intend on future revalving and using them again.

So the verdict.
It isn't for sure the most agile and track oriented suspension you can get. During dogfights you would want it to be sharper and with better feedback. However it is a street suspension with great quality and very good comfort. If you have no access to decent coilovers i thing it is a great option.