ASR swaybar kit

From soft stock to hardcore track, what do you use?
saxophonias

Re: ASR swaybar kit

Post by saxophonias »

if it's only this cheap go ahead. But what material are you going to use?

Sander

Post by Sander »

I will be using 6061 T6 alu 15mm thickness and i won't use steel washers like that guy did. I'd rather make some spacers and backplates from alu.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

today i swapped the metalic end links of the asr swaybar kit with the ones meant for the ek9 . I noticed that they are taller which means that the swaybar sits in another position which seems to me to give less preload. I guess the preload now is set to zero like the ek9 setting. Previously it should have been a lot tighter due to lots of preload. The thing is that the car acts differently and you need time to get used to it. I can't tell whether it is better or not but you can feel a softer rear set up and the rear joins more while cornering. Previously i am under the impression that the car felt more like one part, the rear was tight to the road and would turn to oversteer only while lifting of or rear braking. But there was some understeer too (easily controllable). Now i thing that the rear pushes more the front in the corners (maybe some less slip angles) but i think it is more prone to oversteer when you turn suddenly. I will give it some time and come back with more feedback
The reason for swapping the end links was their unbearable noise the made and the need to grease them once per week so as to be as noise free as possible.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

it's official. The car turns incredibly better with the ek9 end links. I think it has to do with the rear swaybar having no preload at all. Great mod. :)

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Great news man :) Have you got a link to the part you brought (or did you find in a scrapyard?). Also was it easy to fit?
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

i bought it from a member of ek9.org. They weren't the original honda parts due to their being too expensive. They look good though. They were very easy to fit. The important is that the swaybar sits with no preload and maybe this gives the improved handling.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

ASR end links are adjustable.All you need to do is ...adjust them. ;)
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Nick can you explain in simple terms how we can preload the swaybar with different lengths on the end links? I know this is possible but i can't give a theoritical explanation and we were having an argument with a friend of mine whether the asr swaybar can be preloaded or not.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

The adjustable length of the end link should be in a neutral position when the car is on the ground with the wheels.So preloading it with the length isn't a great idea .The adjustable length is only there to keep the swaybar in a correct angle with the end links when you're moving them into another hole.The ASR 24mm rear swaybar has a few adjustable holes.

For example i've got a Cusco 24mm rear swaybar that i can adjust on three points.Those point shorten or extend the swaybar length causing the swaybar to act like a bigger swaybar or a smaller one.
The ASR piece works just the same .

Try looking at it as if it was a long piece of round steel of let's say 6meters long.
Clamp 1 end into a bench vice and go hang onto the opposite end 6 meters away.You can easily bend the bar from there.
Now move yourself up aprox 1 meter from the bench vice away and go hang onto the bar there.It will not bend at all or very minimal.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"