ASR swaybar kit

From soft stock to hardcore track, what do you use?
saxophonias

ASR swaybar kit

Post by saxophonias »

This swaybar kit is one of the most popular out there. It consists of subframe reinforcement bar, 24mm solid swaybar, metalic end links, bushings, and all the necessary hardware for easy installation.

As you can see its quality is great. The bar is aluminum making it pretty lightweight. The bar is solid and thus pretty heavy. The metallic end links are adjustable and very solid too. Just to have a general idea about sizes, a stock SiR or ek4 in Europe has 12-13mm rear swaybar. The Ek9 has 22mm and the DC2 23mm. So this is actually bigger. If you want to do things right you should swap front swaybar as well. The 26mm stock swaybar from EK4 or EK9 will fit just right and not spoil the balance. With the ASR kit you almost ''copy'' the R suspension set up. With good coilovers the swaybar will improove handling vastly, giving you a touch of the R versions.
I have it installed for 6 months now and i am very impressed by it (in combination with the front 26mm swaybar). The handling became extremely better, sharper turn in, almost no body roll. You can attack corners with more self confidence and more safety of course. In hairpins it feels in its habitat. If you are very aggressive you can feel the car turning in 3 wheels :mrgreen: Furthermore, slip angles have become less.
In a weird way after installing swaybars bouncy ride has reduced a bit. The way it goes through patholes is very good and solid. It's like being in another car! The steering has also improved vastly! It has gained a lot of weight and information through corners and especially high speed ones.
At the beginning i was afraid of having oversteerish reactions and actually snap oversteer when lift offs or braking through corners. At the 90% of daily driving nothing happens! It's safer than before as there is less body roll. It doesn't only feel more confident but it really has tons of grip. Of course, oversteer will be there only if you push hard, lift off hard, brake hard, so nothing to worry about.

Some drawbacks of the kit, is that due to metallic end links you need to lubricate the area often, as if not you will hear plenty of bothering noises. This is the only drawback i can think of.
I am looking forward to trying this set up on track

Raimundo

Re: ASR swaybar kit

Post by Raimundo »

Excelent feedback, didn't knew EK4 front swaybar was 26mm. I need to upgrade this, as I have huge body role, even with Koni Sport shocks and springs.

Ok, maybe not huge, but much more than I want it to be :mrgreen:
95' Honda Civic
EDM D14A2

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Raimundo wrote:Excelent feedback, didn't knew EK4 front swaybar was 26mm. I need to upgrade this, as I have huge body role, even with Koni Sport shocks and springs.

Ok, maybe not huge, but much more than I want it to be :mrgreen:
You can use the ASR kit for eg chassis. Unfortunately you can't use ek4 big front swaybar as your lower control arms differ. You can use the ones from DC2 i think. I am not 100% sure though. Please let us know if your front lower control arms are the 2 piece or solid one piece style like the ej9 chassis.

Raimundo

Post by Raimundo »

Will do, soon as I can I'll take pictures from Front LCA's.

Thanks for the info, didn't knew EG/DC/EK arms varied on the front.
95' Honda Civic
EDM D14A2

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

My neighbour has an EJ9 chassis, currently fitted with a B18 engine. Under it he has placed an MB brake swap. Don't know exaclty which control arms were needed, but as soon as he gets back from holiday I'll ask.

Law_

Post by Law_ »

i thought about buying a SiR sway bar for the rear and nothing for the front just because the LCA's dont have the fittings. is this a good setup? without the front one, is good to install such a big sway bar on the rear?
and how does this kit costs?
cheers

Law_

Post by Law_ »

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Try to copy a bigger combo. It would be wise to find the swaybars of MB8 civic with b18 gsr engine! They were quite popular in the UK, so i think you can find parts if you search. I find very often ek9 swaybars and lower control arms for example in good prices! If i see anything i'll let you know.

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Great ! Thank you ;)

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Update to this : i will try to do an ASR swaybar in SolidWorks, and send it to make on a CNC machine. i would only need the exact measures. i am aware of the two parts configuration, i can make both. i think it is simple also to design alluminium LCAs, but dont know if the material is too expensive. what do you guys think? anyone know the exact measurements? Plus, can it be fix or must be adjustable as original? Cheers