ek9 suspension

From soft stock to hardcore track, what do you use?
saxophonias

ek9 suspension

Post by saxophonias »

i have always wondered how it would be to swap an oem ek9 suspension to my ej9. The combo, performance vs cofmy ride is said to be perfect, but i am thinking of the different weigh distribution of the ek9 vs an ej9 (LHD vs RHD) and especially the significantly less weight in front. The b16b engine must be 70-80 kgs more for sure. Apart from balance the height drop would also be different right? As for the price we can find ek9 supsension very cheap. They are used of course but a rebuilt is always welcome.
Take a look here
http://www.ek9.org/forum/sale/33477-oem ... nsion.html

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: ek9 suspension

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Don't.

I once put VTi under my car, it looked like a frikkin SUV, seriously hilarious. It was one single day I drove that and decided to go D2.

My guess is EK9 will be very similar in resulting height, drive etc. as EK4.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

The ek9 suspension is stiffer from ek4.
I don't know 100% the vti suspension hight clearance from ground (it must be 150mm) but for the ek9 is 135mm.
So if we put in ours ej9s the ek9 suspension the car will be lowered about 15mm (from 150mm to 135mm).
I think the ek9 suspension is better option for someone with daily driving car than any other lowered suspension.
I have yellow konis with eibach springs but usually they became annoying in daily driving often they bump. Especially now after 80,000km they bump always :(
I am seriously thinking to go with ek9 springs, hoping to stop bumps :|

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Due to the weight difference, even when 15 mm lower than EK4, you still increase the height of your car instead of lowering by putting EK9 springs I am quite certain. Wait I give you a pick if I can still find it.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Ah, I even had them on the ftp already:

Seriously. Don't. Remove 15 mm from this... it still sucks.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

It's is even higher than ej9 stock suspension. :shock:
But why the rear is higher? It is suppose to be at same hight with ek4.
The difference on the rear between ej9 ek4 is about 5-8 kilos because of the swaybar only.Ι think the weight on the rear axle does not justify the difference on the hight.
Maybe you had the 5door vti suspension, they have other shocks and springs

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

I am tired from always bumping suspension I have (koni-eibach).
What you can suggest to have some not-bumping riding with good turning ability suspension.
What suspension combination or set-up is good for daily driving that is better from dangerous stock ej9 suspension ?

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

The most comfortable ride i have even been to (as for coilovers) was a friends of mine with TEIN superstreet. However it is an old design coilover and you only get to lower it from the spring. My ex suspension set up was very comfortable too (bilstein with HnR)

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

EK4 guys, they came from CRX2, he took a EK4 apart in those days for bits and pieces for his EJ9 back then (the one with over 450.000 km on it).

I wonder myself why the rear is so high... if I am right CRX2 took the rear springs back and installed them on the EJ9 to compensate for the gas tank... but I could be mixing up his cars a little now.

Something tells me the weight is actually higher in EK4 (and EK9)... I guess they have a little bit beefier chassis. Its a guess, but it matches stories from people telling me the weight diff is hardly in the engine alone. Most claim there is only like a 25 kg diff between the D and B engine + tranny. Hmmm... I should buy a weight measurement next time I lift one of my engines!

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

a friend of mine who did a conversion from a d16y7 to b18c told me that the weight difference was tremendous. More than 70kg for sure :shock: