Aftermarket Bushings

From soft stock to hardcore track, what do you use?
saxophonias

Aftermarket Bushings

Post by saxophonias »

When it comes to handling bushings are vital as they tend to eliminate suspension's flexing and spoil of geometry balance. Also, it is well known that double wishbone suspension requires stable geometry and solid chassis in order to work effectively. So, soft spring rates, large slip angles and flexible bushings are undesirable.
Too many people claim that hard bushings spoil the comfort. Personally i disagree from experience. On the contrary they give a more solid ride and better handling during cornering.

The kit i have chosen is the Energy Suspension package, which consists of urethane bushings which replace almost every stock bushing.
If you chose the black ones which are self lubricated you won't suffer any annoying squeaking sounds.
This is the homepage
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/ca ... onda+Civic
They are pretty economical in comparison to other kits.

BETEK

Re: Aftermarket Bushings

Post by BETEK »

Recently I changed rear upper arm bushes (parts on the picture 081103 and 081104) with the polyurethane ones from Strongflex.
They are comfortable like OEM bushes and a little bit better at cornering. Also Stronflex sells harder bushes but they have different colour, yellow ( http://www.strongflex.vot.pl/index.php? ... 28&lang=en )
The bushes with number 081104 had very difficult installation. I had to grind the bushes from both side to fit their snap rings in the metal pieces grooves.
Image 081103
Image 081104

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

never heard of this company! I have the energy suspension package for almost 10 years now with out any damage on them. Are they well priced?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

I'm not that big of a fan of the energy suspension bushings or any other polyurethane bushing.They are very hard and need lubrication (grease) and they almost always wear out after some years.I prefer the mugen or hardrace rubber bushings .They are harder rubber then oem and still flex a little and last a very long time (like oem).I prefer rubber bushings on a street car.On a track car i can understand people don't want any flex .Specially the Rear trailing arm bushing in polyurethane will make the car very harsh.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

saxophonias wrote:never heard of this company! I have the energy suspension package for almost 10 years now with out any damage on them. Are they well priced?
Yes they are well priced. Actually is cheaper from any other polyurethane company including the shipping cost because Strongflex is in Europe
hondaNickx wrote:I'm not that big of a fan of the energy suspension bushings or any other polyurethane bushing.They are very hard and need lubrication (grease) and they almost always wear out after some years.I prefer the mugen or hardrace rubber bushings .They are harder rubber then oem and still flex a little and last a very long time (like oem).I prefer rubber bushings on a street car.On a track car i can understand people don't want any flex .Specially the Rear trailing arm bushing in polyurethane will make the car very harsh.
I am surprised because I thought like you about the polyurethane bushes hardness but as the Stronflex mention its red bushes have hardness like OEM rubber. But the yellow bushes are really hard.
I the past I used to have on real trailing arm EnergySuspension bushes, the car cornering ability was better than now with OEM trailing arm bushes but the ride quality was bad-harsh.
From Strongflex site : What is the difference between RED (80 ShA) and YELLOW (90 ShA) bushes?

RED color - hardness of about 80 ShA - suspension components have a hardness similar to the original metal-rubber bushes. However, strength of the polyurethane is many times greater, and the unique properties ensure long lasting comfort. Our RED products we recommend for all the "normal" car users who want improve stability and better driving. We give 2 years warranty, we are sure that at that time, our products will fully meet their tasks.
YELLOW color - hardness of about 90 ShA - recommended for racing-sports vehicles, tuned.. etc. The suspension is much stiffer, as at higher speeds is important. Durability ensures stability of polyurethane suspension for many years.
The main difference between red and yellow products is HARDNESS! Material resistance to weathering, oils, grease, salt, acids, solvents, in both cases is EXCELLENT!

http://www.strongflex.vot.pl/index.php? ... 28&lang=en

As about the durability of the Strongflex bushes I don't know to tell you. I just hope to last many years.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

guys i never had issues with energy suspension. I have the black ones which were called self lubricated. Never had an issue with noises or worn bushings. To tell you the truth i am surprised they last so long. And for their price (the whole kit costs 150euros) it's a dream.
Powerflex on the other hand are way too overpriced