non power steering

From soft stock to hardcore track, what do you use?
jangz

Re: non power steering

Post by jangz »

Dude this post gave me a real boost in confidence to do this, when I come around to doing it.

007, you stated that you had looped the PS system, have you considered using a reservoir as a breather so that it can relieve more pressure without losing fluid? After much reading this seems to be the most agreed way for even light steering (on low speed) but with all that great benefit and feedback that you commented on.
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

Post by 007 »

yes I did consider that but wanted the engine bay to be neat, so decided to skip the headache of a can and more lines. some day though, I will give it a shot and see.

for now I am enjoying exercising my arms. :D

sktaroins

Post by sktaroins »

When my car was manual steering I had to always change ball bearings every six to 8months at the rods bcoz we have alot of u-turns and round abouts.
Forget parking difficult - ur ac will find difficulty cooling or giving air while parking.
Lets say ur going to a mall down basement parking.
You cant be expecting to experience swet or getting to exercising there.
Its no joke if you have friends with you. Ramming embarrassment bruv.

For the driving feel of having more grip. I agree but to my situation I dont agree with no PS.

I hate my wifes easy one finger steering wheel Toyota yaris.

But for our hondas we can put other PS
For instance I kept a 93 EG PS IN MY 92HONDA CIVIC.
I did that bcoz I changed my 13" wheels to heavy 15"wheels so thats why I then installed PS
The steering wheel was hard and then became half hard.
Thats the rate I was looking for. 50% ..
Im sure that the 99 or 98 ek cars have 100% PS. There again I dont like butter steering.

So depends on you . Which level of ps u want..
Last edited by sktaroins on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

sktaroins

Post by sktaroins »

If you removed the ps to get more power....
You can always upgrades ur electrical box and swap gd electrical wires to give more rotation to the ps
i.e electrical power.
Save the ps and its gd to have a car with all its components working harmoniously .

Besides it gets hot there man... 007.
ild melt with no air condition and no PS ild swet ma ___ off lol.
Performance is the subject again. The ps will not take power if its pulley is a gd one.
It will rotate same along with cam pulley.

Post by 007 »

umm... what does PS have to do with the AC or the alternator? agreed that they all run off the crank pulley but that's about it. I have a perfectly working AC and alternator. the exercise happens when I have to turn the steering when the car is standing absolutely still. get her rolling a little and the steering frees up completely.

sktaroins

Post by sktaroins »

from experience i talk - if no ps ... especially at turns ur compressor will have the load ... which is supposedly to be carried by the power pump of ur ps ... but now its removed ... u switched the pressure load on ur ac and if ur doing many turns in ur every day life like u-turns or parking .. then ur axel bearings will start making sound...

you have to u-turn widely and not sharply coz now u dont have ps...
it will effect...
with all fairness people who have their ps removed are mainly for drag racing and stuff like that.
iam a daily driver who live in high temperatures and need ac on turns and especially need to park easily.

but ps is important which is why it was invented to keep the car and its passengers more relaxed.

:-)

Post by 007 »

the rack is not connected to the crank pulley and thus the engine in any way. all the effort required to turn it is manual. I fail to see how it will load the engine or the AC compressor in any way at all if there is no reservoir, hoses, belt or power steering pump left. the only thing left is the steering rack with fluid inside and the inlet looped to the outlet.

to each his own. I removed mine not for drag racing, but to unclutter my engine bay, reduce load on the engine and because I hated the overassisted feel of the steering, especially at high speeds. it hasn't effected my turning sharpness or radius in any way. it only demands a bit more physical effort at low speeds. not a big deal for me.

jangz

Post by jangz »

I agree with 007 I want to do the same to reduce clutter as i have already tucked most of my wiring harness and shaved the engine bay (rust, holes and seems) and wanted to get rid of the PS to make it look more naked and the fuel pump (to an inline fuel filter setup) and get a braided clutch cable.

I am also not a fan of the over assisted feel at high speeds, but do want the easy on low speed and on a stand still as UK has very small roads and tight parking spots that you have to be a genius to drive into.

007 I can imagine the difficulty of turning the car with all fluid pressure within the rack and no belt, after looping it what sort of percentage of ease did you notice when turning was it like 40% easier on stand still/low speed?

I wanted to get some sort of feel of the effort factor that would need to be implemented as this is a big thing for me. I no doubt will enjoy the feedback and weighted steering in general driving as my 98 Civic had a manual rack that felt tons better than this car.

Hope to get a bit more detail on your experience, don't want to exercise my arms to much as I do a lot of weights and getting into the car having to steer with a lot of stiffness would be murder ^_^ lol I'm just being a sissy hahahah
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

Post by 007 »

jangz wrote:007 I can imagine the difficulty of turning the car with all fluid pressure within the rack and no belt, after looping it what sort of percentage of ease did you notice when turning was it like 40% easier on stand still/low speed?
at a standstill, I *guess* around 70% as hard as that with just the belt taken off. this varies depending on the surface the tires are on as you can imagine. get the wheels moving even a little and the steering can be controlled easily with one hand.

at high speeds, the car would feel twitchy before because of the sensitive steering but now that twitchiness is gone. taking corners also feels way better than before.

sktaroins

Post by sktaroins »

Alright guys hopefully one day ill edit all my posts and put my topic with pictures nut for now..
I found this interesting link after many hours of research about racks ;-
Enjoy
http://raz-veinz.com/Blog/?p=304