non power steering

From soft stock to hardcore track, what do you use?
hondamake

non power steering

Post by hondamake »

Anybody have any experience of manual racks? Or just removing the power steering pump and using the existing rack unassisted? Early Civics and Honda engined Rovers are becoming the weapon of choice for oval dirt track racing in the UK. The strategy they employ is to put the steering on full lock to the nearside (LHD/RHD are obviously opposites), to fill the rack with fluid, then they cut and blank off the pipes. This gives a quicker rack that must be a pain in the ass when parking but cool at speed. $64,000 question: Is it safe/wise/suicidal? :twisted:
Fast, reliable, cheap. Pick any two - because you won't get all three!

jangz

Re: non power steering

Post by jangz »

When I owned my 98 Civic it had a manual rack (roll up windows etc) car was light and the handling felt awesome. Since I owned my 99 model Civic with power steering things felt disconnected with the road, couldn't feel whats going on but handles with ease. My manual rack handled so well too, I remember turning the steering wheel with my finger (I miss the manual rack).

Any why I been reading about doing a power steering delete (remove pump etc) as I have pretty much tucked most my stuff in my engine bay and shaved it also and found that as long as enough oil is left to lubricate both sides when wheel is turned, and looping the two inlet and outlet and T to a small reservoir that acts as a breather (this makes it easier to turn rather than fighting against the pressure by allowing air in). People who have done so stated that they have ran it like this for more than 3+ years and never had an issue.

I myself have not yet done so, i was hoping to find a manual rack if anyone could advice which manual rack could be used in a 99 Civic that would help but this idea stated above may help for quicker turn as PS racks meant to have a shorter turn ^o^
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

hondamake

Post by hondamake »

Sounds like a good compromise solution, leave the reservoir in place but remove the pump. I'll let you know next week wether it works, or not! :shock:

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I've had pump rack without oil... hated it! Ow and small steering wheel did not help either. I always recommend going full manual rack or keep PS 100% installed.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

What's the difference Joris?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I believe a PS rack without oil is heavier than a non-PS rack somehow. Not sure if that makes sense though...

Post by 007 »

I recently deleted my PS assembly completely. I've driven without the PS belt before and it felt really crappy when the wheels weren't rolling. I guess this was because of the fluid being unable to circulate and creating a lot of resistance in addition to the usual weight of the steering and wheels.

now I have gotten rid of the pump, belt and reservoir and *looped* the inlet and outlet in the PS rack with as much fluid as it will contain. at a standstill, this feels noticeably lighter than the previous belt less setup but is still on the hard side. nothing that you can't get used to. however, once the car begins to move, it is simply awesome! the steering feels brilliantly weighted and the ride has become much more stable. after a while I drove a friend's car with the PS assembly and began to hate the feather light, over assisted feel of his steering. :)

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

One good idea to became little bit lighter the non-power steering system is to put lightweight wheels.
Such as Enkei RPf1, Kosei K1, Buddy Club P1 Racing QF etc.

hondamake

Post by hondamake »

I've already got myself some nice lightweight wheels and reasonable tyres, 195/50 x 15. One thing I do know from my years of owning and running trucks is that correct steering geometry is essential for non-power steering. Small changes in toe-out/toe-in make a huge change in steering effort. So on balance the answer to my original question is "go for it" :x

Post by 007 »

hell yes! :D