non power steering

From soft stock to hardcore track, what do you use?
mynameisowen

Re: non power steering

Post by mynameisowen »

Great homemade engineering ;)
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Post by 007 »

PS reservoir in relocated to serve as a good basis for future experiments. should now make it super easy for me to monitor and replenish my fluid level as needed. it will also be very easy to convert this into a breather type setup. all I need to do is drill a hole in the cap and shove a check valve in there.

PS: please excuse all the dirt. in a place like this, there is no getting away from it so I don't even bother wasting time, energy and resources trying to keep it squeaky clean.

armyej9

Post by armyej9 »

i also wanted a more direct feel while driving.
took my ps pump belt off a drove it; it felt horrible.

after reading a bit more about the subject, i realised the actual ps pump was blocking the flow in the lines.

took the ps pump off and looped the lines, because of testing purposes.
it still is filled with fluid and works awesome.

next step for me will be a breathercan fitted with two hoses and a filter on top.
so the fluid can move even more without airlocks and such
i'll try to mount this using AN fittings or something like that.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

I would just like to add some engineering opinion to this argument.

I've been considering this myself and really want to carry out the "looped inlet-outlet" procedure. However I have some reservations, in particular:

Remember that the rack and pinion of this car was designed to be power assisted. In a PAS system the driver turns the wheel and the pinion turns. As this happens valves open in the rack housing to allow fluid to enter the rack housing and provide a force depending on which direction you want to go. This means that almost all of the turning effort is made by the fluid, this means that a much lower amount of force passes through the pinion. The pinion on our PAS cars will be designed to take these lower loads. If you then remove PAS then the pinion (in particular the teeth) must take all of the force required to turn wheels.

Remember that the pinion was not designed for this modification. If Honda over engineered the pinion then great, but I doubt it. The only way to see if it will be strong enough is to actually do it. Just bear this in mind please.

I am a steering and axle engineer and this has come from discussing this modification with my colleagues at work. Remember I actually want to do this myself aswell so I'm interested in seeing if I can be done, reliably.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by mynameisowen on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.

sktaroins

Post by sktaroins »

then good luck in pumping your arm muscles most of the time while parking and turning sharp turns.
ild rather have the ps system easy functionality and the ps doesnt even take 1 or 2 hp from the engine .. its connected by a belt to its smooth running pulley ..so unless the power pump steering pulley is damaged and old then yes it will be more load on the engine but as long as the power pump is new and PS 100% - its all good.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

The aim of this modification is to improve steering feel by increasing feedback to the wheel. Our EJ9's feel very "light" in stock form. Anyone know if other civics have a "heavier" feel? Maybe we could use components.
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.

Post by 007 »

you could weigh up an existing power steering setup by slowing the pump down.

one way to achieve that is by enlarging the PS pump pulley or by shrinking the crank pulley to underdrive the PS pump.

armyej9

Post by armyej9 »

as far as i've seen on pictures from other racks the pinion is the same size as a non-ps pinion.
i tried the looped line on my previous car and it worked wonders.
steering feel while driving improved a lot.

a non ps-rack from a eg civic should fit if you use the eg subframe i heard.
but thats a lot of work.

soon i will be ordering a set of AN fittings and make a system so the oil can move freely.
i searched and the measurements for a civic ej9 should be m16x1.5 and m14x1.5.

ill post pics here when its mounted.