difference between stock springs

From soft stock to hardcore track, what do you use?
Firebass

difference between stock springs

Post by Firebass »

yo guys , well i got this problem my b engine is way more heavier than the D , well last year when i decided to make my suspension i order KYB shock absorbers and Eibach springs, but i ordered the springs as 1.4 engine and i think it lowered more than it should be , well i wanted to know if the springs of 1.4 civic are different than the 1.6 civic , cz if there is i should get other springs , or if there is no difference i just dont want to bother at all :/
Up the Rev Limiter !!!!!!

mynameisowen

Re: difference between stock springs

Post by mynameisowen »

Depends if you mean the B 1.6 civic or D 1.6. B is certainly different. D probably but may depend on spec of the car the engine comes from. I can tell you now that fitting springs that lowered an MB6 (B18C engine) front by 30mm will lower mine by considerably less (~10mm) due to weight difference on springs.

If you know the weight of the car and are able to measure some simple dimensions of the springs I can work out for you what your height change will be.

I am in a similar situation myself right now.

Remember it's all about x=F/k i.e. displacement of spring = weight of axle/spring stiffness of axle.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

i mean different bettwen as d14 and b16 not the d16 sorry not mentioned , well i wanna achive the stock one , cz i m very lowered and the problems is that the exhaust header hitting some times on street plus my tyres got problem on the fenders inside :/

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Because B-series engine must be over 20kg heavier than D you can see where your problem comes from. You must therefore buy springs meant for a B-series equipped civic.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

yeap this is what i thought today but i dont see anything like that i mean . i went on eibach site and it gives springs for honda civic generally no b no d just civic 1.6 :/ pff any suggestion ?
also i saw this on ebay but i dont know if it gives height or just lowering from the current height
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADJUSTABLE-CO ... 5d3611f4cd
take a look at the silver mechanism its the same that its being used to coilovers to adjust height

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

I doubt they would get different versions of springs.

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

just to check, also i was wondering if there is any aftermarket spring that is "hard" and in stock height , it would be helpful also !!!

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

upload a photo to see your ride height. coilovers do that actually. Still why don't you try stock ek9 springs. You can have them for cheap, they are quality springs and they still maintain the comfy ride and they have very good height.

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

yeah this is whati m asking owen to check the stock springs, of ek9 to ej9 !!!!

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I once put EK4 springs on my EJ9 ... that was my moment of shame. The car simply had the nose up in the air, caught an insane amount of wind, drove terrible and mileage sucked. So yes, the weight of a B-series engine is apparently much more than D so they change spring rate/length at least OEM.

Ow I got pics: