difference between stock springs

From soft stock to hardcore track, what do you use?
saxophonias

Re: difference between stock springs

Post by saxophonias »

wow! As for the engines, a b in comparison to a d is about 20kg heavier. Who would have thought that only 20kgs would make such a difference..

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

there is no height problem with the dc2-koni combination
BETEK wrote:If the shocks are stock ej9 the springs because of their hardness stand up the car.
For example with koni yellow shocks there is no such problem because they have adjustable springs position.
Also one secret is how fasten the bolts on lower control arms if the car is in the air the height will be tall but if fasten bolts on the ground the height will be at "right" level
see notches on the shocks for spring position adjustment

here 2 shock-spring combination comparison --> at the left koni-dc2 springs and at the right koni-eibach
as you can see there is only few millimetre height deference

Symon

Post by Symon »

saxophonias wrote:wow! As for the engines, a b in comparison to a d is about 20kg heavier. Who would have thought that only 20kgs would make such a difference..
I would say it's not 20kg of engine but spring rate. C'mon put 20kg of steel on top of engine and see if it makes difference. It's the spring rate and height. I had DC2 springs on my EJ9 without AC and ABS (so it's ultralight compared to DC2) on stock shocks and car was still lower than stock. Also, when i also put DC2 shocks, height didn't change. And look at the difference in spring height. I'm sure that EK9 springs are this low, and i would guess that EK4 are also lower than EJ9:

BTW: Betek, Eibach springs looks thiner, so also softer?

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Symon wrote: BTW: Betek, Eibach springs looks thiner, so also softer?
I guess yes, they must be softer.
But there is no official information from Eibach.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Look on this forum in the topic "Spring rates Civic/integra" that i posted .All the spring rates are mentioned there even the eibach ones.

A D14 would even be lighter cause it has a smaller and lighter crank then a D16 engine.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Yes, I know that topic and it is very helpful.
I am talking about official information from Eibach.
Once I send email to Eibach about the spring rate but they didn't answered the question they gave some other advices for my other questions

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Difference between a B16 engine with transmission and a D14 engine with transmission is more like 100Kg not 20 kg.
That's why the ej9 sits heigher then a ek4. Most stock honda Front springs are Lineair springs which are just as hard if they have 100kg or 50 kg on them.Most aftermarket lowering springs are progressive springs.The more weight they have on them the harder the spring rate gets. That also effects your ride height.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Believe it or not, for a couple of years now, I have on my ej9 the DC2 springs with bilsteins sport shocks which i had revalved. The ride is 1 cm higher comparing to the HnR springs. I was amazed to be honest. The car sits perfectly and the ground clearance is excellent. I have set the bilsteins in the lower position they have for the spring to sit, so with the stock shocks it would sit a little bit higher in front.
Great compromise between sportiness and comfort.