want to upgrade my brakes!

The last important bits between your car and the street
Ek99

want to upgrade my brakes!

Post by Ek99 »

hi!
my last car was rover 216 99 manual
now honda civic ek9 99 manual D14Z2
i have 2 rear disc brake with calipers and hub and handbrake cable and brake oil line. that was from the rover.
this will fit to my honda?
tnx!

BETEK

Re: want to upgrade my brakes!

Post by BETEK »

If you have this stuff it will fit

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

on monday i will install mine :D
Up the Rev Limiter !!!!!!

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Better option is to upgrade the front brake with the same money.
You will have better brakes with bigger front brakes.
The best option is to put calipers from dc2, crv mk1, hrv, prelude h22 or accord h22 or rover 620ti and discs from rover mg zr 160 or zs 180

The rear discs is good for looking but if you install them then you will need a new proportioning valve from vti or crv to have correct working brakes. ( if you have abs) Otherwise the abs will work often

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

but i want my abs working , everybody tells me to remove my abs but i dont wanna do it , im not racing type on corners , i like the straights and i wanna speed up more at corners without putting myself in danger :)))

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

If you swap rear discs without new proportioning valve it will result to overworking abs. The abs will be sensitive
Anyway if want rear discs so much then it is good for you to swap a proportioning valve from ek4 vti or crv gen1.
But if you go only with bigger brakes at front you will have better brakes rather than discs swap at rear
Of course the best option is to put bigger brakes at front and rear discs but in this case you will need also the proportioning valve
(I did this swap and I know)

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

it will be ok :)))

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

btw betek i think i already got the proportioning rotary valve already , cz when i was talking about my strut bar i had a black box that was obstacle to install a bar there so i got it already but i wanna check in 100% for sure , check my photo at the chassis reinf and u ll see a yellow circle in the photo

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/9696/111mc.jpg

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

why the hell i got sucky brake now ? i install my read brake discs and now the pedal is so soft that u have to press it 100% to brake and this sux a lot
what should i do ?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Bleed the brakes , there might be air in the brake lines.
What brakes do you have in the front ? 240 or 260 mm? You might also need a bigger brake booster .
Imo it's better to put on discs at the rear if you allready have 260mm brakes on the front .The brake balance will be off if you have 280mm brakes at the front and drums at the rear.The rear end will lift of the ground when you really step on the brakes .260mm discs front and 240mm discs in the rear with really good brand Discs ,pads and stainless brake lines will give you more then enough braking power.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"