want to upgrade my brakes!

The last important bits between your car and the street
BETEK

Re: want to upgrade my brakes!

Post by BETEK »

hondaNickx wrote:Bleed the brakes , there might be air in the brake lines.
What brakes do you have in the front ? 240 or 260 mm? You might also need a bigger brake booster .
Imo it's better to put on discs at the rear if you allready have 260mm brakes on the front .The brake balance will be off if you have 280mm brakes at the front and drums at the rear.The rear end will lift of the ground when you really step on the brakes .260mm discs front and 240mm discs in the rear with really good brand Discs ,pads and stainless brake lines will give you more then enough braking power.
When swapping rear discs it is better to swap new brake proportioning valve too from ek4 or crv gen1.
But for me its better to swap hrv-crv-dc2 front calipers with 282mm discs. With this set up the brakes will be better rather than swapping rear discs and have the stock front discs-calipers.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

With bigger front discs 282mm the heat capacity is bigger and this results to have better brakes that last more than 240mm or 262 discs.

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

well as it proved honda service SUX the brake system needed an air bleed as per hondanick said , the pedal has been improved a lot , still soft but the point is that when u light press it , u got brakes ^^ thnx :D
Up the Rev Limiter !!!!!!

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

I agree you have better braking performance with the 282mm in the front , but the balance is still off .Or you need to swap 260mm brakes on the rear to compensate. Just try Dixcel front and rear discs with dixcel brake pads 260mm front and 240mm rear with stainless steel brake lines.That will brake harder and better then swapping 282mm in the front.
Balance of a car under hard braking is important ,at least for me it is.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

i got the steel lines at rear brakes , i got the 262 mm disk front , now i will leave for my job in 9 months that i ll be back i ll put brakes front and some springs ^^
Up the Rev Limiter !!!!!!

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

hondaNickx wrote:I agree you have better braking performance with the 282mm in the front , but the balance is still off .Or you need to swap 260mm brakes on the rear to compensate. Just try Dixcel front and rear discs with dixcel brake pads 260mm front and 240mm rear with stainless steel brake lines.That will brake harder and better then swapping 282mm in the front.
Balance of a car under hard braking is important ,at least for me it is.
Honda crv and hrv have 282mm brakes at front and drums at rear axle.
They haven't any balance problems.
The problem with the civics brakes is that they overheating quickly, not the brake power. That's why I suggest to go at front with 282mm discs because the heat capacity is bigger.

jeroenej9

Post by jeroenej9 »

both are heavier cars than the EJ9, so their balance is different.
From now on you are 'D' squad. 'D' for dirtbags...
"If Honda does not race, there is no Honda" Soichiro Honda

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

jeroenej9 wrote:both are heavier cars than the EJ9, so their balance is different.
But the crv is more havier than hrv.
Why the have same brakes?

RenÉK

Post by RenÉK »

The balance is good enough.
Honda isn't going to put to much money on those details.
Most likely they are made that way, did so tests and the brakes are ok.

Bigbrake in front and drums at the rear is a shitty balance.

For street use i would go for an 282mm front and disk conversion rear.
Also i would pick a 1" brakecillinder from or at least 15/16.
And some stainless lines.

Offcourse is the fluid the weak spot at intense braking.
But with normal dot3 u will have no problems.

Bigger rotors have more mass the transfer the heat to and the circle is bigger so the pads grip better.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Agreed. Sometimes though we tend to forget the crucial part of tyres on braking. When i had the toyos 888 on, the car would stop exceptionally, with no blocking at all.