Specifications of stock ej9 braking system and wheels

The last important bits between your car and the street
Skeilz

Re: Specifications of stock ej9 braking system and wheels

Post by Skeilz »

Its the same as ek3 but not as ek4.

Well you have to find VTi brakes to keep 14'. Or a Ej1 brake system, its 262 too.

NIO

Post by NIO »

I can say that EJ9 98-00 or facelift model (like mine) came with 262 mm discs with EK4 (EG6) caliper. Now I'm driving with OEM brake pads from my other suspension from EG6. Before that I bought ferodo ds2500 pads for VTi (EK4, EG6) and they fit. I'm with nissins calipers. Cheers :)

Law_

Post by Law_ »

So, is it worth to change to Vti or Ej9 (98-00) braking system, if you have the 96-98 brakes? and do you guys reccon it ia necessary to change calipers, or stock fits? Cheers

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

the calipers of the 98 00 models are different for sure as they are bigger and with stronger piston.upgrading to 262 would be good but not just that.try a better pad and steel brake lines along with a brake master cylinder kit to reduce the vibrations and thus rigidity and feel of the pedal.whats more there must be another 260mm version with different caliper mounted on the mb civics and some eg ones.recently i came to know that ej9s from italy have the 260version with different pad too. so we need to check from the epc

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

My brembo max discs says 259mm on the box ,and they where specific for the 1998 Ej9. EK3 and EK4 are 262mm,but did anybody tried to fit those onto their ej9 ?All of the good aftermarket brake discs for the 6th gen civic are ment for the Ek4 and are always 262mm ,i was wondering if we could use the 262mm on the ej9 hub.When my current disks are worn out i like to try some Dixcel ek4 discs (262mm) with some itr calipers.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

i could swear i have the 262mm disc. I have measured it once and can't be wrong :roll:

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

saxophonias wrote:i could swear i have the 262mm disc. I have measured it once and can't be wrong :roll:
Well i still had the old discs laying around and i measured them and they where 262mm indeed.On the brembo website and the box it says 259mm for the Ej9 weird :? Seems like i could use those EK4 discs afterall :D
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

the 15inch wheel guys have numerous options, but for us who use 14inch deliberately :roll:
The 262mm disc fits at the limit on the wheel and i am sure i can't use anything bigger.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

hondaNickx wrote:My brembo max discs says 259mm on the box ,and they where specific for the 1998 Ej9. EK3 and EK4 are 262mm,but did anybody tried to fit those onto their ej9 ?All of the good aftermarket brake discs for the 6th gen civic are ment for the Ek4 and are always 262mm ,i was wondering if we could use the 262mm on the ej9 hub.When my current disks are worn out i like to try some Dixcel ek4 discs (262mm) with some itr calipers.
Discs with 259mm exists for civics but the hub is different and the discs thick are 23mm.
Usually these discs (259mm) are on the Accords at 90s and the hub pattern is 114.3mm.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

I have the 13" wheels (1996 civic). What is my best option for increasing brake performance? Is it worth paying for aftermarket pads/discs? Should I do as BETEK suggests and use MG ZS brake setup? Or should I convert to the 14" wheels and brakes (is this even possible)??
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete