Semi Slick Tyres

The last important bits between your car and the street
saxophonias

Semi Slick Tyres

Post by saxophonias »

Many say that once you go with semi you never go with radial tyres again! I think they are true. At this topic we are going to discuss about semi tyres with DOT for road use. Prices, tradeware, sizes, pros and cons. Everything included!

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: Semi Slick Tyres

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Its my EJ1 chassis and not the EJ9 that I use on track nowadays (the EJ9 is too precious hehe). But normally both cars drive on the same tyres, the EJ1 is just a bit heavier (150 kilos!). But in a while I will have the Toyo R888 under it in the 195/50R15 size.

Hopefully I get it track tested this year 1 or 2 times with those.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Finally i purchased Toyos 888 than R1R, as the latter aren't going to be available in Greece for some time. So i got bored waiting and i got 888...

It's very early to comment on them, but they stick like glue!! The car is a bit slower with them but the handling is superb. Braking is very improved too!
Some weaknesses i noticed are the fact that they tend to read everything there is in the road, giving a nervous feeling especially in the highway. They are really noisy too. I wouldn't recommend them for everyday use. Still the purpose i got them is for tracking and having fun. I always have my s-drives waiting :)

TassosNitrous

Post by TassosNitrous »

I am assuming the cornering ability of your car will immensely improve!!. I am anticipating to see some photos while being on the track :D.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

I am hoping to get the best out of the suspension, and i have a good feeling about it from the very little i drove it. Now what i am afraid most is the increased speed through corners. You need to have guts to attack the corners effectively! And this i why i intend to take part in a track event that will take place in a few weeks.

There is also a drag event but i am reluctant to that, as i will fade the clutch without reason :roll:

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Good looking, have fun with them!

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Some more feedback. Above 50km they produce a lot of noise which gets louder as the speed increases. They tend to read everything on the road so you must be alerted with the steering. The latter has a weird feeling on the straight which i have to find if it comes from the wheels or it is just a typical reaction of the tyres. Moreover you can feel the bumps more now but still the car's balance isn't affected when you hit a bump in the middle of a corner.
What's more, until they reach a certain working temperature they feel light but they hold.
Now let's get to the good part. :D

Brakes are amazing. I couldn't ever imagine that i could step on them so strongly without blocking the tyres! The stopping distance has decreased vastly!
Changing directions are very easy to do, in fact you just turn the wheel and the car goes wherever you wish, without putting pressure on the tyres' sidewalls which are strong as a rock! I am under the impression that the more you pressure them the better they perform! When i parked the car i could press the rubber with my hand! Really sticky!!

Joris and everyone else who has them, could you also comment on their performance?

Law_

Post by Law_ »

They are beautiful also !
How much costs each tyre?
What is the measure?
Cheers

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

their size is 195-50-15 but they are wider than the typical 195 tyres.
Their price is very good in Greece due to their popularity! Only 320e for the 4 of them :mrgreen:

Law_

Post by Law_ »

it is cheap indeed... thought it would be more !
Thanks !