High performance summer tyres

The last important bits between your car and the street
saxophonias

High performance summer tyres

Post by saxophonias »

Many of us want these tyres but are they available on stock ej9 sizes?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: High performance summer tyres

Post by Dodo Bizar »

For years and years my favorite tyre in 195/50R15: Michelin Pilot Exalto, both the first and second generation. I am very happy since they out perform a lot of the other street tyres, especially in rain.

I have had days were on the track warmed with nice sun I still cornered faster than some people using second hand full slicks. New full slicks I would not have a change propably, but ok.

Though I had a crash once with them, 4 hours of track using made the compound terrible slippery, especially in the rain. Bummer. Still my favourite.

But its not that I driven a lot of other tyres on the limit... so there might be better ones out there.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

-I have tried Michelin Exalto 1 (185-60-14) which i hated :mrgreen:
It was a medium tyre but had some specific flaws. It had very deep tread making it too resistant and thus the car slow, a lot of noise and not too cornering oriented. It wasn't better in the rain comparing to F1 too.
-Then Goodyear GS-D2 in the same size. It was a real performer on wet and braking but its very soft sidewalls spoiled steering feedback and turn in. They were overheating very easily despite having V speed rate.

-Cooper XTC in 185-55-14. I wanted to try this size so i got a pair of economical tyres. Apart from the wet and braking conditions, everywhere else were superior to any tyre i've tried. And it's due to the smaller sportier size! Still being economical tyres after some time they tend to loose performance easily and their tread becomes harsh.

The ones i have now are Yokohama S-drive, again on 185-55-14. This is a really sticky tyre. Soft enough but it doesn't overheat easily. Great eveywhere apart from 2 things. Performance in the wet and the sluggish feeling it gives to the steering around the straight. I have entered track once for 30minutes and they handled very good with minimum treadware.

giannis

Post by giannis »

I also have Yokohama S-Drive on 195-50-15. I'll agree with saxophonias, they are indeed very sticky, and take too long to heat, but i'm ok with that because i don't use my car for daily driving.
My previous tires were Michelin Exalto, which were good only in the rain... :(
HONDA : Power without turbo

mark_ej9

Post by mark_ej9 »

Toyo r888 or toyo proxies t1r's not sure if they come in the size you want though

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Have you used any of them? If yes give us feedback! As we all know tyre reviews vary greatly depending on the car. So civic reviewers are wanted :)

Law_

Post by Law_ »

For no more doubts here you have:
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/
Just enter preferences and the site gives prices, reviews etc...
Cheers

ilya

Post by ilya »

i have too Yohogama 195-55-15, good control. litle noise, but good noise.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=359 how2swap IM
EJ9 Russian Helper http://www.ej9.ru
Full Scheme SFI-OBD1 PDF [ENG]
SofRom 1.15 R2 - Chippest RTP Emulator like Hondata S300 and Moates Ostrich

henrique b correia

Post by henrique b correia »

toyo r888's on civics and itRs are just like glue...very good tyre indeed

Power of Vtec

Post by Power of Vtec »

Extreme Performance Summer tire, Potenza RE-11
"The unique valve cover, the hidden spark plug wires. this is something any serious engine enthusiast will recognize instantly: Honda's B-series".