Lightweight Wheels

The last important bits between your car and the street
saxophonias

Lightweight Wheels

Post by saxophonias »

Here we will be posting really lightweight wheels that are worth buying.
The advantages of lightweight wheels are numerous and lie to better handling, better function of suspension due to less unsprung masses and weight, better acceleration and many others. Still, lightweight wheels need special treatment and mainly avoid pathholes as they are prone to bending

I will begin with the ones i have on my car. They are really popular to Greece. Kosei K1 TS Racing. 14x6j. They weigh only 4.1kg and they are also below the 5kg range for their 15x7l!
As you can see they have 2 valves! This is meant for racing purposes. Still you can make use of this feature yourself as in the one hole you can pump and in other hole connect an air meter gauge.

saxophonias

Re: Lightweight Wheels

Post by saxophonias »

This is its successor. Kozei K3. They are a bit heavier (some grams only),
And here some prices
http://www.koseieurope.com/fr/jantes/k3.htm

I forgot to mention that they are purely JDM brand and also made there.

Power of Vtec

Post by Power of Vtec »

for me, the best price/weight wheel, the Enkei RPF-1

"The unique valve cover, the hidden spark plug wires. this is something any serious engine enthusiast will recognize instantly: Honda's B-series".

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

They are great and similar to kosei k1 in design. The latter must be a copy actually. Their drawback is that they don't look big enough. Do we have any price for them?

Power of Vtec

Post by Power of Vtec »

i've asked here in greece. 15x7" are about 750-800E, four of them and their weight is 4.5Kg each
"The unique valve cover, the hidden spark plug wires. this is something any serious engine enthusiast will recognize instantly: Honda's B-series".

giannis

Post by giannis »

Volk Rays TE37 are very lightweight wheels, but also very expensive! I wish i could afford them... :(

Instead, i think i'll go for one of those two

OZ Crono HT

or

OZ Ultraleggera
HONDA : Power without turbo

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

In a few days i am going to be changing my ultralight 14inch koseis (4.1kg) with some BBS 15x7 which must weigh around 9kg each :roll:
I am sure i am going to be much slower but i want to really know how much. We are talking about 5kg of unsprung mass in each wheel. So 20more kg :roll: Tyres are going to be heavier as well (around 2kg each). 28kg more...
Disaster hehe
I don't really care as the 15inch set is going to be with sticky tyres for track days but i wonder what the difference in speed will be.

For practical reasons i have a specific place where i make a sprint when the road is empty. It's 400m and i usually reach the 3rd gear slightly before the rev limiter. I am going to measure again and see what happens :lol:

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

My First set was the Rota Slipstreams (copycat Spoon SW388) they were 15 x 6.5" and weight 5.7kg .Tires were 195/50/15 and weight 7.2kg .Total of 13kilo per wheel.My new ones are Drag DR20 (copycat of the work Equip 03 ) 16x7" and they weigh 7.5kg .The tires are going to be 205/45/16 and they will weigh around 9kilo total weight of 16.5kg per wheel.That's 3.5kg per wheel more ,14kg more in total.I'm going to be slower but i'm going to install a very short gearbox in the future anyway so that will make up for it.

I would say put heavier wheels on the backside.
A stock civic hasn't got a lot of wheel contact in the back.If your car is gutted that problem has gotten worse.I also see a lot of race cars using smaller size in the rear on civics. 205 in the front and 195 in the rear , i think it's for less drag.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I got the same Rota slipstreams for my EJ1 track car. Which btw has a tricky back end. Thats why I put a spoiler on that car to keep the end from sliding out (on wet, dry is ok).

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

My koseis cleaned as new!! :D

It's the 1st time i wash them so well, as they hadn't been off the car until now. It was very difficult to make the dirt from brake pads go away, until i accidentally figured out that the mixing of dish wash cleaner and rim cleaner works great!! Try it!