Limited Slip Differentials

Between power and road surface lies a crucial step, transmission makes you go or not
hondaNickx

Re: Limited Slip Differentials

Post by hondaNickx »

I had both Obx and Mfactory .OBX has rattling gears because of the pressure washers (belleville washer) being either placed in the wrong order or not enough present.They also have bevels from machining everywhere inside the LSD ,really sharp edges this wll cause premature wear.And they also have a bad run out ,the 2 parts aren't aligned perfectly and run out of alignment.In long terms this will cause your bearings to fail faster.Even Quaiffe has this problem but not that much ,the Run out on the Mfactory units are better then the Quaiffe units.

You can rework the Obx unit like i did in the past,get rid of every sharp edge ,get some new belleville washers and new 12.9 bolts .And if you're lucky the run out won't be that bad.I sold it and got a Mfactory unit instead ,cause i'm using a expensive transmission i can't afford parts to break down after a short period of use.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Thanks it was really clear ! As usual ! Thanks !

henrique b correia

Post by henrique b correia »

i should be ok with the reworked obx unit. :D have 3 spare transmissions, and a low cost turbo D to build :lol:

sohc honda

Post by sohc honda »

this is the LSD i'm using....it was floating around between a couple of forum users. although i can feel the benefits of this unit in a straight line, turning has become an issue. it like a clunky metal sound; i have found a couple thread on H-T where others are experiencing the same issue :cry:

all info i found so far is that this is a OEM jdm zc lsd
K20Z4
D16Z6
D13B2

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Can you tell whether it is helical or plates? One of my fellow forum members at my Dutch forum of honda-fanatics once had a Kaaz diff with the same issue. Eventually the cause was found: previous owner had put the lock to 100%. That did not corner well.

Decreasing the lock (and installing the diff correctly since it had two rings mounted the wrong way) did solve the problem of clanky noises when cornering. However that was a plated diff I guess while Honda should helical isn't it? So perhaps its something else.

Btw I drive a B16B with Honda's OEM diff and it is marvelous what it does in corners (especially when raining). It is the straight line which does not improve much. My no-diff EJ9 is almost as fast as my B16B EJ1 chassis in the first 60 ft, although the EJ1 might be flawed due to the weight in the back of the car.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

That could be a plate style lsd .IF that's the case you should use different oil.
There's only 1 way to find out ,open up that LSD and check inside :)
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

so in D14 can u put LSD????
Up the Rev Limiter !!!!!!

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I think Quaiffe has a special D14 version somehow listed?

I have my hands on an S20 tranny with OBX LSD I think.... it's D16Z6 tranny. Current owner selling his project and hardly tried the LSD. Any change I am actually buying your old one Nick? Currently tranny is owned by whiteDXI (Bas or Bastien) in NL.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

how much weight do we add? The loses from tranny will be more right?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Weight I think is hardly any since the old diff takes up the same space, only the mid part has more material.

Tranny loss, on a straight line I expect 0... when the diff has no diff to compansate ( :mrgreen: ) there is no frictional loss. Only in corners I expect some, but the more grip makes up for it since otherwise way more friction loss would have occured at the inner wheel.