Limited Slip Differentials

Between power and road surface lies a crucial step, transmission makes you go or not
saxophonias

Re: Limited Slip Differentials

Post by saxophonias »

Nice, I wanted to know if the car will become slower due to loses from the tranny. I am almost certain that when I swapped to mb2 gearbox with the 4.4 FD comparing to my stock a4 with 4.0FD the loses were more (from engine to wheel). I had 2 dyno tests at that time (not in the same dyno though). I can't actually prove it with hard evidence but I have this impression.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Change in FD can indeed change losses as well.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

These days I am thinking of getting my self to look for an lsd. A helical one probably Quaife or Mfactory with the latter being closer to my call. Do you think this is a good investment? My car has a great suspension set up but when the temperatures in Crete rises in relation to the low friction roads traction is always an issue.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Guys I would like to ask you a question on this. I am about to buy the MF helical lsd but there are 2 types and I am not sure which one will do
http://www.teammfactory.com/helical-lsd
As you can see there is the 35mm and 40mm lsd type for d15/d16. Which one is the right for the d14? It refers to the size of the bearings I guess. Does this has to do with the size of the clutch and flywheel, as d16 has the bigger one? Will this affect changing to bigger clutch or the fact that I have the d14a8 gearbox? I asked them but they don't seem to know for sure.

As far as I can tell I need to know the size of the diferential bearings of the d14a8 gearbox!Pleaseeeee heeelp lol

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

All d14 gearboxes must have 35mm bearings at the differential. Aslo d16y7 have 35mm differential bearings also some d15.
These bearing are in the end of the differential near the drive axles.

To know for sure if your gearbox is with 35mm or 40mm differential bearings the safest way is to search the mark A000 for 35mm and B000 for 40mm bearings at the gearbox casting.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Awesome info, that's probably also why Quaiffe advertises a D14 diff or soemthing... smaller bearings. Darn... that would mean my LSD diff I got laying around will not fit the S40 tranny. Hmmmm... have to think that through.

Also I learned something. I actually understand now how plated diffs work, how you can install 1-way diffs the wrong way(!), and how my B16B diff works which is helical (and therefore I believe 2-way). I also figured out now 3 years after the accident how I crashed it. I probably braked on the engine 2nd gear while trying to turn it in... then when you loose grip with a 2-way diff you can loose the second tire immediatly afterwards as well. Something which does NOT happen with open or 1-way diffs... and which may have saved my embarrasement from that day.

Well at least I learned... something... after 3 years.

Even now I know the details of how a limited slip diff works, I still see hardly any picture explaining it properly on the net. Mostly it's pictures of these things with some piece cut out not explaining how the forces travel in these things. Anyone interested in a diagram of how these things work? I might give it a shot.

sktaroins

Post by sktaroins »

sure thing man - iam gona get me an lsd for my d15 one day too. but please put a diagram ill help you out.
i know this mechanic an old man who use to work as a carb guy in mercedes and he owns a garage where his son works - which iam a freind of ;-) so i might be able to take ur picture and ask him :-) so definetly yes put it out here.

archyman

Post by archyman »

Hi all,
Yesterday i really felt the need of an LSD on my ej9/d14a4 while driving on the highway.
At 140 km/h and a wide right corner i felt the front tires losing grip and continued forward, i've lifted my foot of the gas and after 1 or 2 seconds the car corrected its path, but it was kind of scary and strange for a hot summer day where good grip should accure..
I was with with some extra load(4 people and full trunk), going downhill on bumpy part of the road
The tires pressure was 2.3 bar..i guess that the front end was lifted too high because of the heavy back and just lost the grip due to all mentioned.
So is there a bolt on Honda OEM LSD that would fit the S40?
The prices for an aftermarket unit are really half the price of my EJ9. :roll:
Here are some good sites for diff info, mostly for 4x4 apps.
www.autozine.org
www.awdwiki.com

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

there is an oem lsd option for d15b jdm engines but they are hard to find. When you lifted did the rear end started to lose traction?Maybe it's time for a new uprated suspension.

archyman

Post by archyman »

Well, i felt the whole car losing grip, drifting a bit sideways to the left, but especially the front tires..the steering wheel was at 45 deg. and the vehicle continued forward for a moment...
I will definitely check my suspension, however there are no visible signs of wear...
My tires aren't old either - Toyo Proxes CF1 (185/60/14) on 2 or 3 seasons with plenty of rubber left.
Even though I've read some bad reviews about that tire getting old too soon...
Do you guys know if the d15b LSD would fit the S40, and what type of diff principle is that?