flywheel replace!

Between power and road surface lies a crucial step, transmission makes you go or not
hondaNickx

Re: flywheel replace!

Post by hondaNickx »

Some flywheel weight specs i gathered true the years :

Stock D16= 8.1kg
Stock D14= 7.3kg

Fidanza = 3Kg $140
ACT prolite = 3.7kg $230
Clutch Masters = 4kg $300
Bisimoto Aluminium Flywheel = 4.39kg $230
Exedy Racing Flywheel= 4.9kg $218
ACT Streetlite = 5.39kg

D14 clutch has a diameter of 200mm and 20 splines.
D16 clutch has a diameter of 212mm and 20 splines.

The contact surface area of the D16 flywheel is obviously slightly bigger due to the bigger clutch used. Starter gear all fit in d14 gearboxes and d16 gearboxes.The outside of the flywheel is the same , it's just the inside of the flywheel they changed on the D14.;)
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

great info hondaNickx!

Type_RW

Post by Type_RW »

Hi,

Question for you that did light flywheel replace:
Did you lost torque (power) on low RPMs? ........I was also thinking about this upgrade, but my physics knowledge is skeptic about this!!!........what will happen in low RPMs???

archyman

Post by archyman »

Hi guys,
i've found out that d15 vtec-e engines have the lightest flywheel of all d-series at 7.00 kg (compared with 7,100 -7,300 of d14a3/4).
What is more interesting is that it turns out that "d15economic" flywheels have two sizes of OEM clutches -one is 200 mm as the d14 and the other is 212mm like the d16z6.
I have recently bought a second hand d15 flywheel and cluth combo from a crashed vtec-e 6th gen. hatchback but i was suprised to see that the clutch is 200mm again..
I will check what KG is the flywheel to see if its the same as d14a4...

Does anybody know from exactly which d15 engine is this 7kg flyweel, 212 mm plate, coming from?

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Ok I am now in position to have a better clue about the clutch and flywheel mod in my d14.
As you remember I recently swapped my stock clutch and flywheel for a 1st stage exedy clutch along with the 3kg fidanza flywheel all meant for the d16 engine meaning the bigger version.
I am impressed by the change. Previously in every quick change in high revs you could feel a slight delay,and slack feeling of the clutch until you start accelerate again. This is long gone now. Actually the clutch is so strong that you can feel the wheels grabbing in 2nd and 3rd change and moving up and down.
The clutch pedal is so strong and heavy that at the 1st times i couldn't start smoothly :lol:
Now i got used to it, but everytime i drive my Peugeot i think it has no clutch hehe

As for the flywheel it has improved the acceleration and the feeling of torque strangely. What I mean is that when in straight line it needs even less throttle to accelerate and i can use my 4rth gear from 1000rpms without any hesitations. 5th gear with 50km gives no problem accelerating.
I haven't noticed any unpleasant effects only that sometimes revs drop and you think the engine will go off and then revs come up again. You need to adjust your driving style to this and then you get used to it without any problems. In the beginning the engine went off twice but not any more.

So as for now I am very satisfied with these mods.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

some more feedback..
As for the low revs problem. This somehow has stopped (maybe the sensor or the ecu has adapted to the light flywheel?). If this happens when you are on the move just let the clutch and it turns on again :D

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Getting the Exedy Stage 1 as well with some 4.5 kg flywheel.

Btw my stock flywheel dialed in at 7.155 kg on the scale.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

get the bigger combo for the d16. ;)
Best mod! Shifting from 2nd to 3rd and it instantly spins the wheels from the grab. I got used to it now and it feels as stock.