DIY : B series transmission to D-series engine.

Between power and road surface lies a crucial step, transmission makes you go or not
hondaNickx

DIY : B series transmission to D-series engine.

Post by hondaNickx »

Copy / paste from JFK of Speedfactory
JFK78 wrote:Plenty of people have done the D2B before without an adapter plate, with various small differences in execution. The D2B is a very important part of this build, so I tried to document how we did it well. We also had several vital components made to help others do this safely and with relative ease. The following stock B-series parts are used:

shift linkage
rear t-bracket
tranny mount and rear mount
starter
intermediate shaft
axles
clutch

We had Competition Clutch make B-series flywheels that are drilled for D-series cranks. They now have this available as Part no: 2-694D-ST

With this you can use any standard B-series clutch!

I really needed a twin disc for this build though, and once again Competition Clutch came through with a B-series twin disc kit w/the flywheel drilled for a D-series crank as well! This is available as Part no: 4-8026-D

Here's some pics/explanation of how we did it and what it takes to bolt the engine to the tranny. More to come later.

Doing the D2B like this shifts the engine 1" closer to the passenger side of the engine bay. So we had this custom billet drivers side engine mount designed to make up for that.

About ready to drop in, just waiting on mounts and injectors. Shot a few different angles to help show the D2B.

We also have the billet block-to-tranny braces and intermediate shaft pillow block being made, just not finished yet.

Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

hondaNickx

Re: DIY : B series transmission to D-series engine.

Post by hondaNickx »

More to come ,they still have to work out how to mount the support of the half shaft on the back of the engine for B-series axles.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

awesome! :o :D

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

nice but why bother since aftermarket parts exist for D too :roll:

Law_

Post by Law_ »

very nice, at least we know it is possible ! any perfect gear ratios on B series?

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

for sure they are better to ours :roll:

jangz

Post by jangz »

Damn that is sick. I really wish I could do that, but I have no time, facilities or tools.... >_< its a sad world.

Keep it up would love to see more.
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Wow, nice to see! B tranny is much stronger and some come with double synchro's. I hardly miss-shift in my B16B (until last week :oops: trying to full throttle shift it around 9k) while my S40 tranny misses enough gears once in a while. And much closer gears as possible in D-tranny.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Indeed a ITR tranny for example is still shorter then my modified d-series transmission and is already equiped with LSD.Double synchro's is also another advantage like Dodo allready mentioned before.
You could have the advantage that B-series drivers have and beat their ass easy if you're making around the same hp. ;)

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

I guess there will be more transmission loses right?