DIY : B series transmission to D-series engine.

Between power and road surface lies a crucial step, transmission makes you go or not
hondaNickx

Re: DIY : B series transmission to D-series engine.

Post by hondaNickx »

Dodo Bizar wrote:And believe me, Type-R tranny is real good...
Besides the K-series transmission one of the best transmissions out there.
My short D-series transmission with lsd and Custom Final drive still can't match a Type-R transmission.Their ratios are just better (shorter).My lsd and first gear might be better though :D

@ Saxophonias i don't know the price of the kit yet , i'll try to ask them and see what they say. ;)

http://www.speedfactoryracing.net/
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

i am driving these days my brother's b16b coupe and i am amazed by the feeling and the great function and grip of the clutch. If only our d14s were a bit close to that. However i had always been wondering how an aftermarket clutch feels to our d14s. I have an exedy clutch and a fidanza flywheel on the garage but i have given a promise to my self not to swap them until the stock combo is off. :roll: :mrgreen:
Will a better clutch give a feel of better acceleration?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

2 things about B16(B)...

1: the clutch is a real good one in that machine, can take much abuse and gets misstaken for aftermarket clutch while I believe it still is the orignial OEM one.

2: Something I should not say on this D-minded forum, but I recently inspected the cams of these machines really good and it's almost a VTEC-E on the lower lobes, in contrast to our D-series VTEC cams where the lower intake lobes have approximatly the same lift but different timing, the B16's (all B's actually) have both inlet and exhaust two very different lobes, one side being almost half of the other, making it virtually a 12 valve engine :mrgreen: . Theoretically with a 'D-series' gear ratios tranny these machines would have killer mileage. On the other hand, this is also the reason for their lack of torque in the non-VTEC area where D-series often perform better. Funny that I found this out myself and that I did not notice it before on the net. My B16B, with the 1080 kg chassis around it often tickles 14 km per litre, while my EJ9 sometimes drops below this number despite its lower curb weight and much longer gears... almost frustrating why Honda was not able to get VTEC on the exhaust of the SOHC cams...

I am drifting away from the topic, pardon me.

sktaroins

Post by sktaroins »

I wish to place a post to this topic as a matter of interest to me between the k-series transmission, the type r , D2B and b-series - therz alot to read while iam still away its a bit hard with my newborn ;)