Aftermarket Flywheels

Between power and road surface lies a crucial step, transmission makes you go or not
Law_

Re: Aftermarket Flywheels

Post by Law_ »

thank you for the tip ! you are right, not only the bearing but can upset in the crank balance...

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

hondaNickx wrote:D16 has a 212mm diameter clutch ,20spline.
D14 has a 200mm diameter clutch ,20spline.

This is what i researched so far
flywheel weights:

Stock D16= 8.1kg
Stock D14= 7.3kg
Fidanza = 3Kg $140
ACT prolite = 3.7kg $230
Clutch Masters = 4kg $300
Bisimoto Aluminium Flywheel = 4.39kg $230
Exedy Racing Flywheel= 4.9kg $218
ACT Streetlite = 5.39kg

I'm using the Bisimoto flywheel cause it's something in the middle and i DD my car.Fidanza is the lightest out there .
For drag racing you're better off with a stock heavy flywheel ,it gives you more momentum to launch and have a great 60ft time.
The D16 and d14 flywheels are the same except the inner surface being smaller on the D14 flywheel for the smaller clutch (200mm)
Nick great post! Thanks for that!
I still have my exedy clutch kit and the fidanza flywheel lying around for 3 years now :roll: Waiting for the stock to fade.

lumpenst

Post by lumpenst »

Hi! This is my first post here.
Do you guys know if all d series flywheels are interchangeable or not?
I'm doing my research on putting a d15b crank in a d14z2 and want to be sure if i need a different flywheel

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

I can spare you the research and tell you that it doesn't fit.You can't put a 50mm crank journal into a 45mm crank bearing case.Besides that the deck height is the same ,and if you could reduce the diameter of the crank journals to 45mm you might get it in there.I rather put in sleeves and bore to 78mm to get 1500cc and still keep the great R/s ratio and small crank of the D14.

As for the flywheels i know you got three types of clutches :

1988-1991 D-series = 200mm clutch , 21spline (cable tranny)
1989 civic wagon D15/D16 = 200mm clutch , 20 spline (cable tranny)
1992-2000 D-series = 212mm Clutch , 20 spline (Hydro tranny)
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

lumpenst

Post by lumpenst »

afaik the jdm d15b crank journals are the same size as all d15s and d14s 45mm and have the same rod bearings size of 45mm as d16s. So it's a means to get forged con rods.

I may be wrong on this but this is some data i came across a few years ago. And i have a friend in Hungary who put a d15b2 crank d15z6 head on a d14a3. d15b2 doesnt have the same rod journal size of a d15b but any regular d15. So if the main bearing sizes of any d15 and d15b are same then it should fit.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

A JDM D15B crank is basicly a D15 crank with D16 rod journals.
And i just researched this from my books and you are right D15b7 /D15b2 crank journals are 45mm and D14a4/A3 are also .I was confused with the D15z6 which has bigger crank journals.So it might fit in a D14 but i'm still not sure if it would work ,you also need a different crank girdle .

But you still can't fit a JDM D15B crank with rods into a D14 your deck height is too short.Your stroke has increased with 5.5mm so everything raises 5.5mm.Your rods are only 1mm shorter in length compared to D14 rods.So that makes up for 1mm ,still 4.5mm that sticks out of your deck .
You'll need pistons with a compression height of 27,75mm to make those sit level with the deck.
The only stock honda piston that will fit is the PMS(A00) from a 01-03 GX (US) which has a compression height of 27mm and a dome of 4cc.And you almost wont find those pistons in America ,believe me the guys in america don't even found those pistons.Only option is custom pistons.
It's not worth all the trouble for just a D15 engine that has a R/S ratio of 1.62 :1 which is hardly even better then a stock D15.
Buying a D15 block is cheaper and easier , Sleeving your D14 is a better option.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Law_

Post by Law_ »

can anyone tell me why people try to change cranks? is it for installing different flyweels? cheers

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

To increase displacement ,and eventually make more Hp.

lumpenst

Post by lumpenst »

hondaNickx wrote:A JDM D15B crank is basicly a D15 crank with D16 rod journals.
And i just researched this from my books and you are right D15b7 /D15b2 crank journals are 45mm and D14a4/A3 are also .I was confused with the D15z6 which has bigger crank journals.So it might fit in a D14 but i'm still not sure if it would work ,you also need a different crank girdle .

But you still can't fit a JDM D15B crank with rods into a D14 your deck height is too short.Your stroke has increased with 5.5mm so everything raises 5.5mm.Your rods are only 1mm shorter in length compared to D14 rods.So that makes up for 1mm ,still 4.5mm that sticks out of your deck .
You'll need pistons with a compression height of 27,75mm to make those sit level with the deck.
The only stock honda piston that will fit is the PMS(A00) from a 01-03 GX (US) which has a compression height of 27mm and a dome of 4cc.And you almost wont find those pistons in America ,believe me the guys in america don't even found those pistons.Only option is custom pistons.
It's not worth all the trouble for just a D15 engine that has a R/S ratio of 1.62 :1 which is hardly even better then a stock D15.
Buying a D15 block is cheaper and easier , Sleeving your D14 is a better option.
fjt form honda tech sells 136,45mm length I beam forged rods and vitara pistons as kits for 450 $ and you get zero piston to deck height with those if you use a d15b crank

i'm asking this in transmission secton cause i'm curious if i need a different flywheel if i change my crank

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Even when using the FJT rods (which will fit fine) , it's too dumb to put this into a D14 engine.You're looking at modifying your crank girdle ,oil pump, oil pan and what not .Just get a D15 engine for 50 euros or so and use a D16z6 oil pump it's a lot easier safes you money and it's a lot stronger.You need to upgrade your D14 oil pump anyway.

You don't need a different flywheel ,you do need a different harmonic balancer.