D14 with D16Z6 gearbox

Between power and road surface lies a crucial step, transmission makes you go or not
gofra

Re: D14 with D16Z6 gearbox

Post by gofra »

If I remember correctly, I hit the limiter prior to comming to 100km/h before (with a D14 tranny). Same setup (wheels, tires). Buddy of mine, having same modifications (D16 EM, IM, VTI intake, D16 tranny), tops out at around 90km/h mark.

I cant see any numbers on the gearbox- the plate has obviously been pulled off. Are there perhaps any engravings that I might have missed? The speed sensor in it was a genuine ESi (d16z6) one...

One more update: I almost reach 160 km/h in 3rd gear. This same buddy I mentioned before can't make it pass 140 km/h mark (D16z6 tranny on his EJ9 too however miles faster). To make things worse, I can barely hit 170 km/h with this setup. Comming from 160 to 170 takes ages.

Either the ECU is still messed up and learning, the tires are just too damn sticky (although it seems unlikely) or the sensor is faulty and gives wrong readings (the needle was erratic for the first few kms, now works seemingly ok). Or a combination of a little bit of everything. Im going to try it with gps tomorrow and see how it realy is.

Quite frustrating this thing :/

gofra

Post by gofra »

Found the reason.

I managed to squeeze under the car yesterday and checked the penny sized engraving on the gearbox: P20 A000.

From what I read this indicates it's a D15 DX gearbox with a 4.058 FD and longer gear ratios than used in a stock D14A3 transmission...

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Just to tell you that i swapped my d14a8 gearbox with one from a d16y2 (same as the d16z6 only for a mb1 vtec civic) and I can see a difference in the way the gearbox feels. More specifically it is way more tight and it feels stronger in a sense. Similar feeling to the b-series gearboxes. I don't know if it is the bigger bearing issue or not.

eklipze

Post by eklipze »

Hey guys!

I'm looking for advice about that gearbox:
Final drive 4.437
1st 3,25
2nd 1,909
3rd 1,250
4th 0,909
5th 0,750

It's a S40 with gear ratios like D16Z6 but with 4.4 final drive.

Currently I'm driving a stock D14Z2 with D16Z6 IM. It's a daily car and I'm looking for just a little bit better acceleration.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

I have installed a d16y2 gearbox from a ma series civic (the english 5d version) as the d14a8 i used to run had become very noisy. This gearbox is identical to d16z6 one, some ratios and construction so I believe it is an s20 one.
This is how it accelerates in an ek civic I found on the web
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzlplCLrUI8

I have to say that this gearbox has a different performance on how it changes gears. Definitely better to the d14a8 one.
As for the ratios it is a 4.25 final drive so practically it is shorter and closer in 2nd and 3rd gears but worse in 4rth comparing to the a8 one.

eklipze

Post by eklipze »

I'm running the gearbox that I mentioned in my previous post for a several months now. There are some improvements compared to the stock D14Z2 gearbox.
I'll post a video footage when I have a chance to capture it.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

please do! The ideal is to make each gear fall more than 5000rpms (close ratio).

eklipze

Post by eklipze »

Here is the vid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ1pK948SsM

Not the best try, because few minutes before I recorded this video I smelled a burned clutch when doing a little burnout to heat the tires. It happens for first time in my life and I'm a little bit worried. I was like revving to about 6k rpm to burn the tires, the revs go up in 1st, switching to 2nd gear and the revs go up very fast, switching to 3rd gear and I realized that I'm moving too slow and then the smell comes. I stopped the car and let it cool down for a little bit and after 10 minutes I recorded the video :D (maybe it was a bad idea, but probably I will found out soon)

I hope I didn't do too much damage to the clutch. Also you can hear the noisy gear changes which happens only on high revs.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

This is the gearbox I have on for a couple of years now. Quite different to the a8 one. Can't decide which is better.