Close ratio gear set

Between power and road surface lies a crucial step, transmission makes you go or not
alexfos101

Close ratio gear set

Post by alexfos101 »

Hi im two minded about a close ratio gear set from mfactory...i want to put 3rd 1.565 & 5th 1.000 and they said to use oem 3rd as 4th which is 1.25 and a 4.78 Final Drive..... My question will this setup be streetable as a daily driven??

BETEK

Re: Close ratio gear set

Post by BETEK »

No definitely, 4.78 FD is already short, so if you put shorter gears the result will not be for road use.
You can keep the 5th gear OEM so you can cruise and have fuel economy.
But in any case you will have great gain at acceleration with 4.78 FD why to swap shorter gears?

alexfos101

Post by alexfos101 »

The replacement for displacement lol.... Seriously i love acceleration love going through corners an comming out with power i love how close gear sounds. Since i had the 8lbs fly the car felt great accl was good i want beeter...And i just want an overall great power band.. so what if i go with the close setup with the oem 4.25 or the 4.4 or 4.5 final drives?? Also u know anyone with the setup i mentioned before>> is it really not for daily driven i mean i dont live in a place where we have miles and miles of freeway i live in a small island in the caribbean appx 1,840.9 sq mi i would reeally want to know if it is street worthy??.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

I see. So you like cornering :mrgreen:
just put 4.78 FD and you will be the fastest man in island :D
See here what I mean
(civic si 92-95 has the same gear ratios with s8g gearbox from delsol, maybe the 5th is longer on civic 0.702)
At the left site is the OEM s8g gearbox and at the right site the s8g with 4.78 FD and OEM gear ratios
http://www.teammfactory.com/gear-calculator

As you can see there is overall gain in every gear with 4.78 FD,
I think swapping more short gears there will be no point

alexfos101

Post by alexfos101 »

Thanks for the info but wat about the rpm drop will it be as a close ratio

alexfos101

Post by alexfos101 »

To answer my own question http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JClEy2kT9U ....what do u think bout the comparison???... i think the close gears accelerated faster than the final drive

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

I can't come to a conclusion from this video but you can try stock gears, Mf gears, OEM FD, and Mf FD and mixed at Mf gear calculator. Choose what you want and suitable for you
But I think just swapping Mf 4.78FD is enough for street use.
Then more shorter gear ratios + shorter FD the car will be drivable only in very close cornered tracks