Swapping final drives between D series boxes?

Between power and road surface lies a crucial step, transmission makes you go or not
saxophonias

Re: Swapping final drives between D series boxes?

Post by saxophonias »

Nick do you think we can swap gears between boxes without problem? My mechanic says no, while i read otherwise.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

hondaNickx wrote:
BETEK wrote:The issue is that I said this way "big-small bearings" to be clear for people that are not familiar with D-series gearbox specs.
But the truth is that the countershaft bearings between A000 and B000 is different (as the differential bearings too). So the B000 transmissions have thicker countreshaft than A000, that's why the final drive can't be swapped (and always the final drive swap is going with it's countreshaft)

Big case countershaft bearing is 30x55 x21
Small case countershaft is 30x47x21

The internal diameter and the thickness of the bearing is the same it's just the outer diameter that's different .So the countershaft still fit's small case transmissions ;)
That is a good inforamtion ;) :)
I didn't know that they can be swapped due to the bearings.
Sorry for misinformation :oops:
But I have a question what about the hight of bearing (are different 8mm), will the countreshaft of B000 fit on A000 bearing without extrusion?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

BETEK wrote:
hondaNickx wrote:
BETEK wrote:The issue is that I said this way "big-small bearings" to be clear for people that are not familiar with D-series gearbox specs.
But the truth is that the countershaft bearings between A000 and B000 is different (as the differential bearings too). So the B000 transmissions have thicker countreshaft than A000, that's why the final drive can't be swapped (and always the final drive swap is going with it's countreshaft)

Big case countershaft bearing is 30x55 x21
Small case countershaft is 30x47x21

The internal diameter and the thickness of the bearing is the same it's just the outer diameter that's different .So the countershaft still fit's small case transmissions ;)
That is a good inforamtion ;) :)
I didn't know that they can be swapped due to the bearings.
Sorry for misinformation :oops:
But I have a question what about the hight of bearing (are different 8mm), will the countreshaft of B000 fit on A000 bearing without extrusion?

30 is the inside diameter
21 is the height of the bearing
47 or 55 is the outside diameter

The height and the inside diameter is the same ;-).
A bearing that has a height of 55m is hugeeeeee :lol:
If they really can't be swapped out MFactory and other companies would be selling them apart in big case Final drives and small case .And they don't do that .I also never heared anyone say something about that either.

If your really want D-series Transmission questions answered by a pro ask 'Transzex' on D-series.org .He's the D-series transmission 'guru' and knows everything about them.You can swap gears between the same transmission codes S40 with s40 and s20 with s20.You Might be able to switch between S20 and s40 gearboxes but i don't know that for sure.
As i said before ask "Transzex" or search on D-series.org .
I'm also putting in gears from a L3 cable gearbox into my S20 gearbox.
So i know some of them are just plug and play.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"