D16Z6 clutch vs D14 clutch

Between power and road surface lies a crucial step, transmission makes you go or not
boggs

Re: D16Z6 clutch vs D14 clutch

Post by boggs »

saxophonias wrote:my friends eg d16z6 reminds me of my brother`s b16b grab. A straight swap isn`t possible though as you need the whole clutch
So you would rate the D16Z6 oem clutch highly then? I know a straight swap isnt possible and you need the full clutch and flywheel.. I have just bought a D16Z6 gearbox to replace my D14 one but need a clutch and flywheel but I dont want to put in a OEM D16Z6 clutch to be dissapointed if it doesnt grab and slips on high rpm shifts

Post by 007 »

Exedy makes great stock replacement clutches. you may wanna try one of those.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

if you can afford it buy an exedy. It must be cheaper than the stock. I also hear good things about ACT and clutchmasters

boggs

Post by boggs »

saxophonias wrote:if you can afford it buy an exedy. It must be cheaper than the stock. I also hear good things about ACT and clutchmasters
From what I have heard most aftermarket clutches are not as good as OEM honda.. And I have heard bad stories about exedy. Although I have heard good things about competition clutches

Post by 007 »

boggs wrote:From what I have heard most aftermarket clutches are not as good as OEM honda.. And I have heard bad stories about exedy. Although I have heard good things about competition clutches
that is quite surprising. myself and a lot of my friends have been running Exedy clutches and we arent exactly gentle on them. :)
not a single problem whatsoever.

also the stock replacement clutches here in India cost less than the OE ones.

not sure if the quality of products varies from market to market but I figure if they sell quality stuff in a place like India, they should be doing the same everywhere.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

exedy must be good to b and d series. Many coplaints are heard to k-series and especially with the organic clutches exedy has

sktaroins

Post by sktaroins »

yes but the reputation of ACT and clutchmasters are better than exedy as they are cheaper than the stock lol :-) i wish to believe that Exedy made similar clutches called daiken bcoz exedy are freakin expensive so you might see exedy brand on the centre of the box and below u will see daiken....!!

not everything that glitters is gold as nothing expensive is as good as cheap thats why they call it smart build and cheapy hehe.

its good 2be back :-)

archyman

Post by archyman »

I have bad experience with my clutch so far. Not that it's not working, but it slips a lot when trying to apply sudden power.
I think the stock one is good for regular tamed driving style. It will last long but the power losses will increase in time, especially if you drag race a little bit in the city :roll:
So i figured that i need more grabbing power, as i am doing some of the mini-me upgrades...
My setup has only IM swap so far, but when i step on the gas i can hear the engine revving but nothing happens :|

So what would you suggest is best for hard daily driving?
If i go for d16z6 clutch and flywheel would that be an upgrade since the flywheel is made for 1.6l engine and is probably heavier??
Am i gonna loose semi clutch ability if using aftermarket clutches??
Thanks!

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Don't worry just go for D16z6 flywheel-clutch set-up. Consider that the d14a2, d14a7/8 flywheels have the same weight with most D16 engines.

(There is a little exception in the rule some CRX Del-Sols with d16 engines have the same flywheel-clutch with D14a3/4 !)

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

After having swapped an exedy d16 clutch and fidanza flywheel I can verify that its bigger size does make a difference in the feel and performance of the clutch. Much stronger and more positive in fast gear changes. Also there is a grab on 3rd gear too. It doesn't slip like it used to in 2nd gear changes any more. Definitely worth the upgrade. But remember you need to change the flywheel too (d16) which is bigger.