D16Z6 clutch vs D14 clutch

Between power and road surface lies a crucial step, transmission makes you go or not
boggs

D16Z6 clutch vs D14 clutch

Post by boggs »

Hello I have just went through a D14 clutch and now it is slipping badly in not much time at all. I have learnt D14 clutches dont take much abuse at all. I was wondering would a D16Z6 clutch be much of an upgrade? Would it be more capable and much stronger? I was thinking just a standered OEM D16z6 clutch as competition stage 2 clutches are a bit out of my price range. Obviously I will be changing the flywheel to a D16Z6 one for the clutch to work.. Just wondering is it worth it?

Thanks Thomas

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: D16Z6 clutch vs D14 clutch

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I still got my OEM 1st clutch in my D14 after 355.000 km and with a lot of abuse on the strip. I do have burnt it once and some people told me it should be gone within a year, but I am still driving the sucker 2.5 years later. So... for daily driving the D14 OEM clutch is fine and you might just consider replacing the current plate. My maximum torque has been 150 Nm, never gotten higher.

But if your car has more torque than mine (what was your setup, is there a turbo involved?) the D16Z6 might be a good idea. No idea how much stronger it is, but I expect it to be a few percent better.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

See I feel like my clutch is a bit poor, and have felt that since I first drove the car about 3 years ago. It hasn't necessarily gotten worse but depending on my driving mood it can be quite slippy and juddery. As such sometimes I wish I had a new clutch just to see if there is any difference (or if its just me =/), but I can't afford or be really need to right now.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

the stock clutch lasts, that's for sure, however it isn't strong at all. This is obvious when shifting at the rev limiter the next gear doesn't grab as it should. I can see there is a great difference in this, comparing to my other car (peugeot 309) which grabs superbly every time i shift. I have 208.000km with my d14 clutch.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

saxophonias wrote:the stock clutch lasts, that's for sure, however it isn't strong at all. This is obvious when shifting at the rev limiter the next gear doesn't grab as it should.
True true true... once my clutch somehow grabbed really hard going from 1st to 2nd and somehow I noted to myself that never happened before... it also never happened again. Indeed when I launch with 8k rpm the revs take way to long before evening out with the wheels.

hondamake

Post by hondamake »

Assuming the clutch is good quality, Dodo put his finger on it - OEM or better, longevity is down to driving technique. Obviously if you have got radical power upgrades/power band characteristics and you're a standing start junkie then you have to open your wallet. Our American friends use auto boxes for drag racing. High stall speed torque converter, colloquially known as a "hole-shot", running a manually controlled conventional auto box. Looks like we're back with the same problem. How do you make one car be your daily driver, have good fuel mileage and be totally reliable and lay down a 10sec 1/4 mile and be a track day demon. Oh yes and cost nothing to run! ;)
Fast, reliable, cheap. Pick any two - because you won't get all three!

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

I assume that the d16 clutch due to its being bigger it will definetely grab better.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Dodo Bizar wrote:Indeed when I launch with 8k rpm the revs take way to long before evening out with the wheels.
This is what I hate, I hate changing gears at high revs because of this. I rarely drive "enthusiastically" but when I do I rinse it in one gear then change from 2 to say 5th and leave it at that because of the serious slip that would occur if I were to shift to 3rd. Not that it cant be done but I don't like doing it.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

boggs

Post by boggs »

Judging by the replies a lot of people have the same problem.. My clutch slips extremely badly when shifting at high rpms it doesnt grab as it should.. I am guessing a D16Z6 oem clutch would grab just fine?

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

my friends eg d16z6 reminds me of my brother`s b16b grab. A straight swap isn`t possible though as you need the whole clutch