Help to swap S40 to L9 Transmission?

Between power and road surface lies a crucial step, transmission makes you go or not
honda-rab

Re: Help to swap S40 to L9 Transmission?

Post by honda-rab »

yes i did the transplant and it works well it give me more torque and cad civic mechanic is my prove of this as he was there and seen the transplant being done and has been in the car after it....

cad civic mechanic

Post by cad civic mechanic »

BETEK wrote:There is no such a gearbox "9L" at D-series.
Honda has 9A gearboxes for the D-series but not 9L.
Please post a photo of the gearbox and where it is the stamp.
Elsewhere it is misinformation and we don't want it in DU community.
Betek your are wrong, never AssUme because it makes an ASS out of U and ME. It is a 9L box out of an MB6 (MA8) uk built 5 door civic. Here are the photos of the sticker and box in the car fitted to the D16Y7 block. I think you will find all information is correct on mine and rabs part

Dont slack her till you wreck her, horse on regardless

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

guys i am missing something here. Mb6 civic has the b18 engine on, while ma8 has d14 on. So l9 mustcome from ma8 and not mb6 for sure

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Thank you for the photos!
Maybe you are right about 9L D-series gearbox.
But still according to the Honda EPC and Honda Manual I can't find the information about 9L gearboxes.
Please give me the exactly model of the car, year, engine, type and VIN that came the gearbox to let me try another search.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

And from another search that I did,
I found that Honda was stamping the 1999-2000 5door Civics manual transmissions individually at each domestic market. So possibly your new gearbox "9L" is coming from 1999-2000 Civic that was built for UK market only! But I can not tell you that for 100% surely.
So that's why I can not find any information at Honda Manual and EPC for 9L gearbox.
But for sure all that types of transmissions are similar to S20 and S40 ones.

The years 1995-1998 the transmission stamping for all markets was like this on the picture for the 5door Civics with D-series engine

These pictures is from honda manuals for aerodeck civic and 5door civic and the above ones from Honda EPC

The conclusion is that, there are domestic stamped transmissions that it is hard to find for them information.
In this situation I made mistake for not existing of 9L transmission. But it is not my fault because the Honda doesn't give information for that type of stamping.
So sorry that I didn't believe you for 9L gearbox.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

The interesting part of issue is to find the 9L gear ratios.
Please tell us how many kilometres produce each gear at d16y7 redline?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

It's getting really interesting.

What also surprised me is that the labeling is completely different from 'normal' labeling. The S20/S40 labels would be placed vertical very close to the engine block exactly vertical. This 9L label is almost horizontal and has a different different layout/coloring.

It's almost an entirely different assembly factory has worked on this... probably that's the reason?

And indeed what are the differences, gear ratios? Quality of parts inside?

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

I think these gearboxes must have come from the MA civics, Swindon made for sure. Maybe they had something to do with the rover chassis some of which shared the d16 engine.