clutch compatability

Between power and road surface lies a crucial step, transmission makes you go or not
pardizzle21

clutch compatability

Post by pardizzle21 »

hi people,
i have a question about clutches as i will be replaceing mine when i swap to a shorter ratio gearbox.

Are all clutches the same throughout the D series? if i fit any d series gear box(from a 1.4 at least) can i use the clutch also?

all help apreciated

saxophonias

Re: clutch compatability

Post by saxophonias »

d14s have smaller clutches than d16 let's say. But you can swap the bigger combos too, if you use the big flywheel as well. I suggest you use the bigger combos.

pardizzle21

Post by pardizzle21 »

hi sax,
so do u mean if i used a d16 gearbox from a 5 door civic, i could also use its clutch too? and then get a light flywheel for it?-what are the torque losses like with a light flywheel?
cheers !

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

you can use any d gearbox with your stock d14 flywheel clutch combo. You can use the d16 box but not with its clutch and your_small_ flywheel and vice versa. Get a fidanza and a big clutch if you can afford it. I think it is worth it.

pardizzle21

Post by pardizzle21 »

sounds good to me, if only i can get the cash..... :lol:
cheers

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

get a d16 stock clutch combo. I am pretty sure that it will grab better than our small d14

jangz

Post by jangz »

Talking about clutch capability my clutch I now believe is slipping. When I am trying to foot it for speed, I hear the engine rev and stays high but the car seems to no where, it does not pick up speed until a while later also with the power I have now, down shifting and pressing for power also wont grip, this is a clear sign for a new clutch right?

I need a better clutch, something very solid and heavy duty for my turbo civic, any suggestion and prices.
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

If I were to buy, I would get the ACT kit..

jangz

Post by jangz »

I just drove home now and bloody hell my clutch is really bad, cant put power down at all. I need something cost effective as I don't have much to play with and also need to upgrade my radiator hence a little tight on money.

D16 clutches sounds interesting, where can I get the ACT and other good clutches enough for 200bhp rating.

Also would you happen to know where I could pick up an OEM D16 flywheel.

How do Exedy perform? I'm sure they make the OEM clutch under the name of Daikin right?
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

I don't hear nice stories about the exedy. I would opt for the ACT, or Clutchmasters too. Stay away from f1 brand. Have a look at ebay.com