D14Z2 harness onto D14A4

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
mancowadv

D14Z2 harness onto D14A4

Post by mancowadv »

Hello everyone, first time poster. I emailed Dodo before I realised I should have probably asked the forum first so I'm sorry for that.

I have a few questions. After reading around the forum, I know which EK3 harness needs to be used for the OBD1 conversion (I want to use a harness to avoid repinning) and that is the D15Z6, however in my country there are a few sellers that have parts for an engine called D15Z8. One of my questions is is the D15Z8 harness identical and if I get a D15Z6 harness can I use a D15Z8 dizzy plug and play?

Also after reading I see that harnesses can be used straight on the post-facelift EJ9s (the ones with the D14Z2). There is a junkyard in my city that has a D14Z2 car, if I were to buy the dizzy and the harness from that car, will the harness fit onto the D14A4 plugs like the D15Z6 harness would? Or is the only option for harness D15Z6 and maybe D15Z8?

To be clear: I don't mind adding a few wires for VTEC or extra heater wires for O2 sensor, I just don't want to repin everything. The D14Z2 harness will be much cheaper for me because of the availability so I wouldn't mind adding a VTEC wire to the connector or whatever is needed.

Thanks for the help :ugeek:

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: D14Z2 harness onto D14A4

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Hey man, sorry for the late reaction... I probably have your email still lingering around don't I (plan to read my mails in about an hour from this post).

But I got a couple of 'no's' coming in unfortunately.

D15Z8 is the MA/MB VTEC-E which is more of an EG chassis in terms of wirelooms. So its basically an OBD1 wireloom which has a connector pair on the shocktower. Which is not there in any OBD2a/b Civic chassis.

And EJ9 facelift loom does not work either since its fully OBD2b and that really different behind the dash compared to OBD2a, really different routing, so you get a lot of work on your hands.

So I guess its my best advice to keep your current loom and do the conversion as I did it. Maybe the D15Z8 can be used for scavenging parts... but better yet get a real OBD1 loom in that case. And be warned that while for our EJ9 Civics an engineloom comes with ECU connecters, OBD1 (and D15Z8) probably don't since I guess most resellers only have the part to the shocktower.

mancowadv

Post by mancowadv »

I actually managed to find a D15Z6 loom, dizzy and IACV so I think it should work pretty easily. Thanks for the help.

Another question:
The D15Z6 car had ABS and mine doesn't. What do I do with those cables? Just not plug them in and throw them away (since I won't have an ABS control unit on top of the ECU like the D15Z6 car has)?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

ABS is a completely separate system in terms of wiring running on different looms, there should be no problem leaving it out.