OBD1 OEM ECU connectors

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
hondaNickx

OBD1 OEM ECU connectors

Post by hondaNickx »

Ok so i found out what connectors honda uses ,and i found several ecu connectors too with pins and everything.So i decided to give it a try and i ordered a few to see if they would fit.OBD1 uses 22 ,26 and 16 pin connectors .Today the connectors arrived...

OEM ECU connectors with pins that have pre tin on them.

Test fitting on my Obd1 ecu

Result 2 connectors fit ,the 26pin connector is a little to wide and doesn't fit.

I'm going to look around again and see if they have a different style 26pins connector.They also sell Ecu Female connectors so you actually could make a conversion harness.
This will be very helpfull for people doing there own OBD1 conversion or making custom conversion harnesses.
I'll keep you guys updated on this if i found a complete set that fits .
I'm going to redo my D14 engine wire harness with these connectors cause it's a more solid connection and oem ofcourse.

Ps: Honda Connectors are made by Amp, a division of Tyco Electronics. The connectors are called Multilock Hybrid 040/070 and are available in multiple configurations.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

mynameisowen

Re: OBD1 OEM ECU connectors

Post by mynameisowen »

awesome, will be very helpfull for everyone doing an obd1 swap.
How much were they are where can we get them from???
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

In the meanwhile i have found the right 26 pin connector .I'm going to get me a complete set before giving this website away.Cause everything will be sold out maybe and i end up having nothing.So i will give it out don't worry ,i'm not even sure the new 26pin connector will fit ,so be patient... ;) The 3 connectors and all the pins cost $14.80 ,shipping to Belgium was like $25 lol :lol: Ow yeah i also found a Connector Cap for these connectors (basicly an Ecu inside cap).The D14 pre facelift uses a 22 and 26 pins connector and those caps were sold out a while ago but today they are back in stock so i'm going to order some of those too.This would be great to make a conversion harness for a Pre facelift D14 8-)
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

maybe you should start a new business;

"hondanicks D14 OBD1 conversion harness's'"

i would deffinatly buy one!!!
:)
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

mynameisowen wrote:maybe you should start a new business;

"hondanicks D14 OBD1 conversion harness's'"

i would deffinatly buy one!!!
:)

Haha no thx ,i'm not into this for money i like to learn as much as i can and help eachother out. ;)

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Ok i allready made my order so i'm going to give you guys a chance too.
Here's the website:

http://www.newunitedracetech.com/shop/

If you want to order the OBD1 connectors you'll need to order these Afaik:

- AMP MultiLock 040/070 Hybrid 16 Position Plug Housing $1.40 (1pc)
- AMP MultiLock 040/070 Hybrid 22 Position Plug Housing $2.15 (1pc)
- AMP MultiLock 040/070 Hybrid 26 Position Plug Housing [Grey] $1.71 (1pc)
- AMP MultiLock 040 Contact 22-18 AWG Brass / Pre Tin $0.10/pc (50pc)
- AMP MultiLock 070 Contact 20-16 AWG Brass / Pre Tin $0.10/pc (20pc)

You can also order the AWG Brass / Select Gold contacts they're more expensive around $0.30/pc , but better.

And this is the Pre face lift D14 ecu connector cap . ( 26+22 pins )
- AMP MultiLock 040/070 Hybrid 48 Position Receptacle (Cap) $5.00

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Clap Clap Clap
i would by a conversion harness also !
Good work. Keep on ;)

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Very good research Nick!

I once contacted sales points of Tyco or whatever it was called a few years ago. Unfortunately I ended up getting salesmen on the phone which only wanted to sell bulk amounts... this is way better!

Anybody interested in producing harnesses? Doing this commercially requires a lot of time to construct the bastards. I once tried doing junkyard harnesses, made a few dozen, but getting a descent price for the hours of work in it is difficult...

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

i would pay more if one of you guys made one, just because you are all legends!!
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

damn that site is like a heaven for the do-it-yourself-harness makers.

i bought 2 ecu's p3x and p06 for 30 euro's
and with an angle grinder i have grinded the connector out of the p3x ecu (little rude, but effective:P)

but is it smarter to buy al the connector's (included the p3x inside ecu connector) and pins and fix it the "professional" way?

or can i just cut of the wires and connectors of an old engine harness and solder those wires to the p3x connector i have grinded out of the old ecu?
"some have dreams, mine is reality :P"