d16 z6 swap into a kit car

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
marlinman

d16 z6 swap into a kit car

Post by marlinman »

This is my first post and hope someone can help. Am swapping a d16a6 engine in my kit car for a d16z6 engine i obtained from a 1992 del sol. i am gradually working way through the wiring to the ecu and am confused by the connector at A12 FANC. was tempted to ignore this wire and tape it up as my radiator has its own temp switch but have now read that ignoring this wire will cause error codes to be generated. can anyone tell me what this connection does, it seems to connect to the temp switch on the cylinder head and to fan relay unfortunately my wiring loom is not complete in this area and i cannot trace the wires.

Law_

Re: d16 z6 swap into a kit car

Post by Law_ »

Please, introduce yourself in the correct area first ;)

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Ah I think I have it... FANC stands for "fan control". It is an extra switch to activate the fan, it is rare... also in the ECU. If your ECU doesn't have it its no problem. Some alternators have the same, its ALTC in those cases, its also rare and probably comes together with the FANC. Both are wires to overrule the normal switching if the ECU would like to decide so for whatever reason.

Either check the original wiring loom from the donor car for the ECU for this wire (if its not there its no problem), search for an ECU that doesn't have this wire (should be many) or have your ECU chipped by eCtune or Crome. Changes are you have no problem?

I stumbled on a lot of unknown or rare wires in my search for those, came across them in junkyard cars etc. and found some matches for it. If you need to overrule it you can find the proper resistance the ECU should have in a workshop manual and fool it with a resitor perhaps.

Or serial switch the sensor on the block... that would even be smarter to do. So either the ECU or the sensor wants to switch the fan on and on both it should work. Probably the original route...

marlinman

Post by marlinman »

thanks for the info and the methods for fooling the system into thinking it is still there. will try to connect up with both switch and ecu in position using a relay. hope the resistance of the coil in the relay will fool system, failing that will use your suggestions. at least now i know the reason for the doubling up of the wiring, thought i was reading it wrongly.

john