Obd2 to Obd1

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: Obd2 to Obd1

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Don't go to CR 11 without 98 octane, that's all.

I completely molested my D14 with CR 9.5. Only thing I put in there was 98 octane. Never has seen a detonation or anything. I always check plugs for that. So for your setup, you're safe. Just make sure the management puts enough fuel in there.

Ah and well... I also know a D16Z6 VTEC engine which still runs on P06 without problems, actually it is very fast... 15.3 sec on the 1/4 mile last weekend. As long as CR stays below 10 you're quite safe to experiment around.

And as a general rule (thought from my dyno centre owner who is a grandfather meanwhile!) max hp decreases approximatly around 4 degrees of ignition before detonation point... maybe nice to have in the back of your mind as a rule of thumb when fiddling on a dyno.

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Thank you very much for sharing.
Im listening and learning ;)
CR less than 10. I will try to calculate with the setup im planning.
Doing it on a different section.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24&p=569#p569

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

I don't know almost nothing about electronics and I have some questions.
The Ej9 engines (d14a3, d14a4, d14z2) have knock sensors?
And why to convert obd2 to obd1, what benefit the car will have?
The immobilizer will work after the conversion to obd1?

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

You need to go obd1 so as to chip the oem obd1 ecu that you will have installed. As for the imo, Joris said that you can somehow keep it. Obd2 ecus can't be chipped for now.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

No knock sensor in D14's I know.

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Dodo Bizar wrote:No knock sensor in D14's I know.
unfortunatly ...

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Hi guys i'm currently redoing the obd1 conversion on my engine harness.
I'm about to start to the repinning part or in my case putting on new oem connectors and pins.But i was wondering how do other people place their ECU when repinning the wires? My current engine harnes is longer then the stock one so i could place the ecu with the connectors below.
But this harness is going to get a little bit shorter then the stock harness .Do those connectors need to sit on top to fit ?At the moment i have have my P06Ecu secured with 1 bolt.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I drive my EJ9 with one bolt connectors down (and folded zeitronixs between P06 ECU and cover, tight).

But Goofy (my neighbour) drive P06 ECU in his EJ9 connectors up since his loom came out too short.

I think he can't ride down with the connectors since his loom is either OEM length or even shorter (EJ9 ECU is short compared to P06). I can ride down since I am pretty sure I measured the length actually when re-furbishing my clumsy plug/harnass work to a more descent re-pin.

I think there might be one risk nivolved, probably the reason Honda installed them down, with the connectors up dust and debry may built up and cause short-circuit in the long term.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

So the oem length cables will be too short ?I was hoping it will fit close with the oem length cables.I currently have the connectors down but i also extended every wire about 5cm.I didn't wanted to extend cables this time ,cause in time with a lot of bending the soldering joints will break.

I just took a look at where my cables are sitting at the moment and where the green plug (interior) splits from the original wire loom , that point is on the left bottem side of p06 ecu .So the 26pins connector will fit the 22pins needs to be on the right side of the ecu so that might not fit or will be reall close.I don't want to put stress on the wire loom either...
Could i slide the grommet 2-3cm up so i have a little bit more cable inside ?
And afaik the oem D14 ecu has it's 24pins connector on the right side too ,so that actually has to fit with the P06 too right?
Last edited by hondaNickx on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

You can use extension harness.
Like this http://www.boomslang.us/extension.htm