OBD2B to OBD1 Conversion for a 99 Civic - Can it be done?

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
jangz

Re: OBD2B to OBD1 Conversion for a 99 Civic - Can it be done?

Post by jangz »

Thats cool man, it got me a little worried that i would have to spend more money for new injectors.

So what is the max 250c cc Injectors could take?... my aim isn't going to go above 170-180whp also for my application do you guys think i would have to change anything else... like the fuel pump? and stuff for this sort of power on my D14? (I know I'm being cheap, but i want to get away doing the minimum cost)

I got my turbo now its was off an 05 model Subaru no play no smoke and i got it for £65 (TD04)... now im gonna get the rest like the intercooler + pipes, manifold and bov (then get my downpipe custom) and chip my ECU...

Does anyone know any good one people i could turn to get my ECU chipped and tuned to my car (or could send my ECU)??? i rather get it all done now...
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

240cc injectors are good enough for the power you want. if i am right even s2000 has 240cc injectors for 240hp

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

jangz wrote:Now I need to get 240cc Injectors (OBD2 versions) I checked all over but cant seem to get any, do you know any places that I could buy for cheap?

Any way Integra Injectors WILL work right? how about Civic VTI 1.8's or even the Civic Type R ones?... and just to make clear they have to be above 96 to fit my Injector Plugs, right?
Try http://www.honderdelen.nl (my private sponsor hehe). All the above mentioned cars are 240cc as far as my knowledge goes.

Humm, about the IACV I need to have the actual 2 wire plug, right? and fit 2 wire to that plug by making amendments by removing 1 wire right?
yes

Can the D16z6 Fuel Rail be fitted and are there any modifications I need do to make it fit, or is it not worth doing?
I believe you NEED to fit Z6 rail, Z6 IM aint it?
About the D16z6 Intake Manifold being fitted there are other sensors behind it, like TA, MAP and TPS they need to be plugged in right and will the OBD2b harness have the correct plugs? Do I need to get all these plugged in (and avoid doing switching the MAP and TPS the wrong way around, right? (what happens if this happens?)
All fit, mayby length is too short on wires (learn to solder! ;) ). TPS and MAP switch will lead to terrible running eninge, no damage, but you'll know. Learn their colors (of the wires that is).
The TA needs a new plug also right?
Ehm... I suggest forgetting about the TA in the Z6 manifold, and keep the IAT which is indeed a different plug. Its the one located in the inlet box or inlet. IAT is faster in response.
I have the my normal Throttle Cable, that should just connect to the D16z6 TB right?
Yes, but... the last fixation point might be too far of. Either get a Z6 cable or make a do it yourself fixation point.
There is a another sensor the the left of the TA sensor with a pipe (on your one its removed (near to where p80 is engraved on the IM) I don't need that right?
ehr... EVAP perhaps, I am confused... ? Maybe I should look it up.

Now I'll read the other 10 posts in between.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Lumpenst: your problem lies in the ECU combi most probably, dizzy cannot throw so much.

But to re-assure everybody, its the 96-98 EJ9 D14A3/A4 Civics that are a pain in the ass converting to OBD1, all the rest is easier to do.

jangz

Post by jangz »

Thanks for getting back to me man. I don't think you have to read all the post again I really don't what to be a pain.

So the only plug that needs to be changed is the IAVC and the rest of them will plug into the the harness right.

Yes my IM is a Z6 so I should fit the fuel-rail too right? any modifications needed? I will use the same pipe for the Z6 also right?

So if i keep the IAT plug as normal where can that fit or do i need to move a sensor over or is it just a simple plug into the IM or the actual intake when its created? (just need to clear that)

I may be over complication this simple issue but if there are any other plugs that need to be changed and any plus that don't need to be fitter? i guess thats an easier why to not mess up.

(i have a friend who solders, did you have to do much amendments? and to which wires?

About the throttle cable you said about fixation point? what did you mean by that... do you mean when it attaches to the throttle trigger on the throttle body or that the wire is not pinned down and that its moving around loosely?

And that last sensor on the back of the IM was to the left of it but on your one its been removed.... I am assuming that one is not needed (directly on the back were 3 plugs from the right you have the iacv then the ta and to the left another one and thats the one im on about had a pipe attached to back of the IM and the sensor had a circular cap)

that should all be it i think i asked a lot and learnt a lot and now its soon time to get it fitted, so final clarifications on what you said would be good.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Z6 rail fits, but the big fuel hose to it needed a bit of 'remodelling with a hammer' since a nibbly thing wouldn't fit otherwise, you'll see when you get there.

IAT should be fitted into inlet tube, order a 96-99 spec instead of 92-95, then they will have drilled a hole usually.

Inititally my car run with only a few cur out wires, but eventually I re-soldered a lot. EACV, EVAP, IAT I am sure about... perhaps TPS to.

Fix point: last connection point on the IM, not the TB. There is only about 3 cm play to calibrate the cable, will to be little for D14A3/A4 cable on Z6 mani.

The last sensor, yes I am quite certain you mean the EVAP... it was on D14 and still got it on the sideflow manifold.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Dodo Bizar wrote:But to re-assure everybody, its the 96-98 EJ9 D14A3/A4 Civics that are a pain in the ass converting to OBD1, all the rest is easier to do.
:( I have a 1996 EJ9 :( Whats the extra complication joris???

I already have a Y8 IM. A P06 ECU and a OBD1 dizzy from the car with P06 ECU. What else is needed for OBD1 swap??
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

lumpenst

Post by lumpenst »

saxophonias wrote:240cc injectors are good enough for the power you want. if i am right even s2000 has 240cc injectors for 240hp
That's for a normally aspirated engine. For a turbocharged stock engine you need low afrs in the 11~11.5 range to minimize risk of blowing engine. The BSFC in a turbocharged engine is around 0.55~0.60 while its 0.40~0.50 for a N/A engine. 240cc might be enough for only 150 hp maybe regarding max duty cycle is %90 (which shouldn't be any higher than %80), BSFC at 0.55 and fuel pressure 43.5 psi which is stock for hondas.

Check for yourself. http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx?Use ... rC7ZiBqYT5

BTW S2000 injectors are bench tested by someone on a forum and are said to be 360-380cc

jangz

Post by jangz »

Ohh man, I am in a limbo right now and my back is killing me lol. Is there any one here using 250cc Injectors that would kindly share their opinion (tried and tested feedback) regarding how it works with your turbo civic.

My aim is very low and easily achievable approx 170whp, can it work and will I be looking at any future problems. I personally think i will be perfectly fine as long as i stay under 180bhp as I know a friend in Hungary who is done the same running fine with no issues. 250cc are the same as the stock B16 and some of them are around 150-170bhp stock (import is set to 170bhp)

I have seen that website and do appreciate and respect the knowledge but sometimes being a bit ghetto isn't always that bad as long as its low as 170ish I'm sure its ok right???.... if i am wrong please warn and advise me otherwise as i am was open to suggestions and advice.

In future if i do go nuts with a built motor i wont be as cheap as i am now and i will spend the money and would diffidently go bigger for obvious reason but for my current application 250cc Injectors should be ok i think. But then again its my first time so I rather take the advice of someone who has done this turbo stuff before...

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

170 hp is doable on 240 cc injectors.

About 96-98 EJ9... check my OBD1 swap article, thats complicated hahaha. Change dizzy, rectify injector wires, construct your own conversion harness, thats what I ment, nothing new ;).