OBD2B to OBD1 Conversion for a 99 Civic - Can it be done?

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
mynameisowen

Re: OBD2B to OBD1 Conversion for a 99 Civic - Can it be done?

Post by mynameisowen »

so just follow the guide then?
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

jangz

Post by jangz »

Ohh mmaannn what the hell, one other thing... I just read on the forum something about needing a heated lambda??? Can you tell me what that is, and where I can get it from and the fitting process?

How important is this and what are its uses of this for a d16z6 intake swap and what it can do for my future turbo setup?... I have read the obd2b-obd1 conversion and I had a lot of replies covering everything except this.

Feedback and tips are greatly appreciated as always.
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

cad civic mechanic

Post by cad civic mechanic »

jangz wrote:Ohh mmaannn what the hell, one other thing... I just read on the forum something about needing a heated lambda??? Can you tell me what that is, and where I can get it from and the fitting process?

How important is this and what are its uses of this for a d16z6 intake swap and what it can do for my future turbo setup?... I have read the obd2b-obd1 conversion and I had a lot of replies covering everything except this.

Feedback and tips are greatly appreciated as always.
The sensor element is a ceramic cylinder plated inside and out with porous platinum electrodes; the whole assembly is protected by a metal gauze. It operates by measuring the difference in oxygen between the exhaust gas and the external air, and generates a voltage or changes its resistance depending on the difference between the two. It is usualy located in the exhaust manifold and the cat as most importantly some cars (such as mine) come with the heated type as standard, heated type has FOUR wires and non heated TWO wires

The sensors only work effectively when heated to approximately 316 °C (600 °F), so most newer lambda probes have heating elements encased in the ceramic that bring the ceramic tip up to temperature quickly. Older probes, without heating elements, would eventually be heated by the exhaust, but there is a time lag between when the engine is started and when the components in the exhaust system come to a thermal equilibrium. This lag is due to the engine, oil, coolant, and other components' absorption of heat from the exhaust gases. The exhaust gases heat these other components, causing the gases to drop below the probe's operating temperature and therefore heat the probe slowly. The length of time required for the exhaust gases to bring the probe to temperature depend on the temperature of the ambient air and the geometry of the exhaust system. Without a heater, the process may take several minutes, resulting in under performance of the engine.

The probe typically has four wires attached to it: two for the lambda output, and two for the heater power, although some automakers use a common ground for the sensor element and heaters, resulting in three wires. Earlier non-electrically-heated sensors had one or two wires.
Dont slack her till you wreck her, horse on regardless

jangz

Post by jangz »

Hey Cad, nice reply very informative thank you so much. My Civic is a 99 face-lift version 1.4i OBD2B, do you know which version my one comes with?

In regards to your feedback it may seem likely that mine will come with the heated version right? If thats the case then I don't have to worry too much about it then...

If I am wrong and need to get the heated version, how does one set it up with the wiring and ecu stuff?

(I have a feeling that I'm OK, but please send feedback as all this is always useful in future, never going to skip on a chance to learn something)

cad civic mechanic

jangz wrote:Hey Cad, nice reply very informative thank you so much. My Civic is a 99 face-lift version 1.4i OBD2B, do you know which version my one comes with?

In regards to your feedback it may seem likely that mine will come with the heated version right? If thats the case then I don't have to worry too much about it then...

If I am wrong and need to get the heated version, how does one set it up with the wiring and ecu stuff?

(I have a feeling that I'm OK, but please send feedback as all this is always useful in future, never going to skip on a chance to learn something)
Hi, well only way to tell if you have a heated type is to check the wiring yourself. Check out the pic below of the location of my lambda, yours should be located in the same position. If it has four wires your ok and already have heated type

If you dont already have heated type, i think its just a case of pulling two new wires from the engine bay to your OBD2B to OBD1 conversion harness, and plugging them in to the appropriate pins on the harness, jorris (dodo) or hondanick would be the guys to ask exactly which pins / wire you need to tap into, unfortunatly i know feck all about pinouts and ecu wiring as its all new to me, im still learning :lol:

Hopefully you should be ok and already have heated type, my civic is OBD2A and it had them as standard so im 99 % sure your OBD2B should have the heated type already, but I would physicly check as honda do have some strange variations between the OBD types as I discovered with my car. Take a look at your exhaust manifold, locate the sensor and take a pic of the wiring and let us see it. To be honest its a minor issue, well get it sorted 8-) Good luck with the project :P

jangz

Post by jangz »

Cad you da man, man

Thanks for the reply and going through the effort of uploading the picture. This is exactly what I needed to see and know. I will go and check as soon as I can thanks a billion.

jangz

Post by jangz »

YEY I just checked and everything is fine... I need to chill the hell out and stop the panicking... ^O^ hohoho

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Yes you do man ! Chill out and do it slowly ! It would be definitly worse to discover just when you were mounting parts =)

cad civic mechanic

jangz wrote:Cad you da man, man

Thanks for the reply and going through the effort of uploading the picture. This is exactly what I needed to see and know. I will go and check as soon as I can thanks a billion.
Not a problem chum, thats what were here for learn from each other and share the knowledge and wisdom. Have to say your cars a sweet colour. Is that an OEM colour or respray?

jangz

Post by jangz »

It's an OEM colour called Super Sonic Blue its blue with a hint of purple (kinda 2 tone). I really like this colour so much I actually bought 2 Civics in the same colour. The one in my Newbie profile is my 98 model called the Illusion, I have a new one which is the facelift version 99 model but its called Fusion its exactly the same colour. I have always loved the facelift look and stuck with the same paint...