obd2a to obd1

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: obd2a to obd1

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Hmmm, I don't like the not starting part.

Did you try between 10 to 30 seconds? Since I expect you had disconnect the fuel rail for IM swap (is this done now?) there might be an awfull lot of air in the fuel supply which first needs to be pumped out. Sometimes just a few more cranks, but several times I needed more than 10 sec before engine got there.

Anyway, got starter? Got spark? Got fuel? In that order? If all yes, got any engine check lights? If yes, read codes if no... something silly must be going on.

About camgear timing, it is either 7 o'clock or 3+9. But it does not change from one to another (not without a head swap), physically impossible without changing the crankgear. I correct only for that by means of adjustable cam gear... or do you mean that?

Anyway good luck and keep us posted.

Btw: if no signal or message comes through from the ECU, check the ECU in a OBD1 car it should run properly in... you would not be the first with a faulty ECU.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Btw: try with a little throttle... if the EACV is connected in the wrong way it closes and chokes the air supply to the engine immediatly. Happened to me the first time I did the OBD1 swap :mrgreen: . Since some US based 3-wirw to 2-wire conversion article put me on the wrong foot... I actually hope that error did not slip into my write-up.

CarteluL

Post by CarteluL »

No man..i don't think you understand..i made the obd1 swap but the car don't start..today it started but i think that it has detonation's..or something else..how sould i fix the timing (with the OEM head) ?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

First things first:

Did you swap the IM as well or was it swapped before? Not having swapped the IM is not an option...

So do I understand correctly the starter works and does crank the engine?

Do I understand the engine does run a little, but bad? Stalls? Can it run on its own for a few seconds?

Give us more info please. Btw... you did not change TPS and MAP plugs did you? One of the most common errors.

Timing: assuming the cam is put on OEM timing (or half o tooth later if you can't get it spot on), get a stroboscope light to check ignition timing on the crank marks. Do you know how that works?

CarteluL

Post by CarteluL »

omg....i told u man`...the engine start`s but it run`s VERY BAD !!! i swaped the IM too`...i made everything like here (obd1 swap d14a3/4) but i don`t understand how to make the timing for obd1 !!!! and io don`t have a stoboscop...and don`t know enybody with....". A last tip on the OBD1 swap: adjust the ignition timing to 16 deg BTDC, this is the normal timing of OBD1 engines. The marks on the D14A3/A4 crank pulley are 10, 12 and 14. So you should time the ignition (using a stroboscope) a little bit before the 14 deg mark passes." ........ !!!! so`...i must put the cam puley to 3/9 and the crank pulley to.... ???

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Adjust everything to stock specs , like it says so in the book .Do not change the cam pulley, just put it into the stock position like so Image

Your ignition distributor (D15B7/ TD41U ) should be in the center now .
Now turn it a little bit to the left and it should be in this position =>

Your ignition is now timed to 16 before TDC aprox. This is only as a guide ,to correctly time your ignition you need a strobo light.But it might help you on the way.
Last edited by hondaNickx on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Timing your ignition is something else as timing the cam gear. First do the cam gear. Second take a strobo and time ignition by moving the dizzy as Nick indicated above (I assumed familiarity with working with a strobos, I think I was too far ahead with that one?).

Checking the ignition timing is done by aiming the strobo light on the crank pulley, there are some marks on it. You should sea 3 marks (12/10/8 deg BTDC) and a 4th mark (0 deg BTDC). Btw, the strobos magnet thingy (to measure induction) is mounted on the left spark-cable, left side of the car, 1st cilinder.

Btw, you can buy such a strobo at any car part shop around usually. They don't cost much.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Indeed i think he messed up his cam gear timing ,that's why the engine runs horrible.
Just put it in the stock position ,even if the head is milled you want to advance it anyway to gain power.Leaving it in the stock position with a milled head gives you timing advance already.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"