P28 LIMP MODE: After D16Z6 Intake Manifold & OBD1 Swap

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
lumpenst

Re: P28 LIMP MODE: After D16Z6 Intake Manifold & OBD1 Swap

Post by lumpenst »

jangz wrote:
your car was throwing up CEL lights did you ever go into Limp Mode?
Yup, it wouldn't rev past ~3500rpm with the p28 code.
jangz wrote:In my newbie corner post I was discuss the idea of timing, I haven't touched it. Could it be that something needs to be adjusted as the OBD1 ECU is timed differently? and could that also be a factor to this who issue.
I don't think it would make a problem as i didn't touch it at first when i converted to obd1.

To rule out possible things that could be causing the problem start with diagnosing the fault code for MAP sensor. If your not getting this code with stock ECU but with p28 ECU, then check continuity in your loom, harness and ECU pin using socket diagrams. With the p28 connected use a multimeter to check pins of MAP sensor while it's connected. It's a 3-wire sensor with one pin being ground, one 5volts supply and one being signal to the ECU which is analogue 0-5v.

If continuity is ok from the ECU pin to the sensor and you are still getting fault code for MAP sensor than something is wrong with the ECU.

After checking this and your sure there is something wrong with the ECU or the .bin file, look for a demon RTP or ostrich emulator as it costs nearly the same as a chip burner while it gives the advantage of realtime tuning.

jangz

Post by jangz »

I kept reading and reading everywhere and to be honest I think your right it could be the ECU more so the actual BaseMap chip, if the injectors were bad, or the MAP was bad my car would have had issues with the stock ECU which its not and I read your post on HMT.com and it sounds just like my situation plus its the same car and sameish scenario.

I tried to get in contact with Xenocron and he replied saying he didn't understand my email and asked me to word it clearly (bit of an insult as I read it again and it was very clear) but he hasn't got back to me. I just read here and there that the BaseMap Xenocron provide is a P30 bin but again as its EDM there could be something conflicting and your one could be programed differently to fit our car, I am not even sure if my one is P30 or P28 if it is P30 is that the end of my narrowing down to ECU being the issue.

About the Demon RTP & Otrich Emulator these two items are a tad over my budget that I could afford and as I don't really have experience in tuning on the road and the numbers I have to input etc I was thinking if I could just get a simple eprom burner/programmer and burn the bin file your recommended that you got from racepak? (the chip burner I can get shouldn't cost too much and programs the SST chip)...

Did racepak have a p06 or p28 with his boosted d14 I just wanted to check if there is any further differences other than the Vtec or any other little things that could contribute to this issue.

What I may do later today is install another map sensor I have spare and see if there is any change...
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Timing isn't the issue. You'll be surprised how far a car can be off-times and still run.

Racepak, that guy should read here as well, in the past a talked a lot to him on msn. He got far I think. He had a D15Z4 wasn't it? Which was also SFi...

Hope you've gotten any wiser in the meantime. As for the bins I remember something being said like: P28 bins all stink, you actually need P30 bin with P28 values written in it. This was the base of my car if I remember correctly. CRX2 told me this... so he should now the details.

I'll give him a ring on this topic, lets see if he can help.

jangz

Post by jangz »

Hey Dodo, nice to hear from you man and thank you so much for the kind help.

Lumpenst on this website had the exact same issue and pretty much the identical situation also and same engine D14z2 OBD2b.

The chip came from Xenocron got it fitted and it threw the P28 ECU into Limp-Mode, racepak gave him a BIN file which was a P30 file with a P28 ignition map and some options ticked off and it worked straight up.

Lumpenst being very helpful and kind recently sent the same BIN file over to me and I got the BIN file burnt to my P28 chip and the car is now out of limp mod and working without any issues.

Now I finally got to see how the Z6 IM swap feels and I am very happy.
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Glad to hear guys!