P28 LIMP MODE: After D16Z6 Intake Manifold & OBD1 Swap

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
jangz

P28 LIMP MODE: After D16Z6 Intake Manifold & OBD1 Swap

Post by jangz »

I have a real big problem. After doing the Intake Manifold swap I had the MIL light come on.

The Intake Manifold is hooked up but if you look at my newbie corner post it has other details that could have contribute to this.

After putting in my P28 ECU (without the basemap chip) it could barley stay alive, until I gave it a rev and some air. It could only rev up until 4000 RPM and stop, even in neutral. When I put the basemap in it runs smooth and idle nice, BUT revs to only 3500 RPM (Limp Mode)

When I put my D14 ECU in, it would run right to redline and pulls strong but runs really crappy on standstill and low speed (due to the IACV swap) just mentioning this for comparison sake.

Any way... I went and got a diagnostic done and came up with the following codes:

3: Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Circuit
6: Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor
16: Injectors
20: Electrical Load Sensor
21: Camshaft Position
36: ??? No Name Listed ???

What did I do wrong?

Does any one have a P06 for sale, it could just be this ECU. But I really need help to fix this.. Please respond as I'm in desperation. This is truly driving me crazy.
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

saxophonias

Re: P28 LIMP MODE: After D16Z6 Intake Manifold & OBD1 Swap

Post by saxophonias »

Since it runs ok with the stock d14 ecu i would guess the fault is in the p28 ecu. I don't know if i am helpful on that but i would try to compare the ecu codes corresponding to failures, by myself so as to see if this is really true or not. To elaborate more. If the electronics sensors you describe have failed for a reason then you could be able to check this out by measuring their voltage. There are specific values in which they work. Learn the working values, get your hands on a voltometer and check out for your self. If they work fine then the problem is on the ecu itself. Couldn't you try another ecu for free?

jangz

Post by jangz »

Yeah as soon as I put the P28 in I had a strong suspicion that its the ECU... To be honest when the P28 is in and now that its been setup for this ECU (obd1) its runs nice and idles well, but that damn limp mode is annoying.

I would like to really get my hands on a P06 but cant get anything around here in the UK, I will try of cause. Do you or any one else here have one to offer, if so please let me know A.S.A.P as this is a huge brick wall I have hit.

Any other comments are appreciated...

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

can't you find any on ebay? i used to see dozens of them everyday!

jangz

Post by jangz »

Yeah I totally agree, I will have to sit and wait until I can found one on EBAY. I may also try and get in contact with some scrap yards and see if they have any...

jangz

Post by jangz »

I think I'm going to stay away from the P28 for now as I have a chipped one and will try and get my hands on a p06 as everyone else who done a IM swap here used it without any issues.

Also what about the timing issue, I read on Sebastix's IM swap about adjusting it to 16 BTDC as my one hasn't done that yet, could that kick it into to Limp Mode? as its recognizing the wrong thing. I added more detail on my newbie corner post please check if it helps to shed some light about what I am going through.

lumpenst

Post by lumpenst »

no that wouldn't cause limp mode. Check your conversion harness first. Your car has CELs for cam position sensor and map sensor. Those definately put the car in limp mode.

I remember reading a post of yours that said your car was obd2b but your car is a prefacelift and those are obd2a afaik.

Make sure if your car is obd2a or obd2b. Then check if you have the right conversion harness (obd2b-obd1 or obd2a-obd1). If it's obd2a did you change your dizzy also?

If everything seems to be ok with the above it's something with the ECU. It's either chipped badly or the ECU is old and dying or the map file in the chip is non compatible.

Xenocron doesn't have a very good record for international ECU selling. When i ordered one from him people from TR said i made a bad choice buying from him. I understood why when the ECU arrived. When i plugged it on the car, a capacitor in the ECU blew right away. I don't want to accuse him of something but i felt like he wasn't careful enough while choosing an ECU to send overseas as it is much more difficult for me to get a replacement. I replaced the capacitor myself as i was lucky enough the board wasn't fubared. Then for a long time i had lots of CELs with a crappy working engine until one day i tried a bin file of racepak (i know him from HMT and hondatech) from israel who also had turboed his d14. Upto that point i had used many p28 code base maps but racepak's file was p30 code and it worked fine. I have no clue why the p28 code doesn't work. Later just to confirm this i made two basemaps myself one p28 code and one p30 code and the p28 one wasn't working again.

So if you can get your hands on a chip burner i'll send you my bin file i'm using atm if your wiring, harness etc are all fine.

jangz

Post by jangz »

What your saying sounds legit man and my car engine code just for the record its D14z2 (its etched on the plate in my engine bay) I am confident to say that my car is actually OBD2b... as a final reminder you still think I should check with a different harness?

I know what you mean about the capacitor, they actually provided another one (and i had that fitted also) as they said that it tends to blow... Crap, I think you might be right about Xenocron, although your car was throwing up CEL lights did you ever go into Limp Mode? I will look into getting a chip burner and cable to connect to the ECU soon and see what I can do.

In my newbie corner post I was discuss the idea of timing, I haven't touched it. Could it be that something needs to be adjusted as the OBD1 ECU is timed differently? and could that also be a factor to this who issue.

I think everything your saying hits home with my problem so I'm going to shop for what you said. Any suggestion or links to what I may need exactly to do the job regarding burning etc I don't want to make a messed up purchase again... (hehe while i was writing this i was reading your post on HMT.com, and we do have the same exact car, (and colour)... I'm sure that helps to see whats going down with all this)

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Im sorry I cant help but If your looking for a P06 ECU they are found in the D15B7 engine in europe on the LSI Coupe civic. I hope you get it fixed soon.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete