D14 obd1 conversion => D16y7 ?

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
hondaNickx

Re: D14 obd1 conversion => D16y7 ?

Post by hondaNickx »

Dodo is right on that Owen D14a4/A3 engine harnasses are not obd2a obd2b or obd1 they are a special kind that nobody supports (SFI).
A obd2a conversion doesn't fit.

What i am reffering to is to use a D16y7 engine harnas (that is obd2a) and to hook that one up to your d14 engine.Cause all the engine plugs are the same as the D14 except the ignition. Obd2a is supported and you can use a conversion harnas to convert it to obd1.Even for the ignition there are conversion harnasses available like i allready mentioned before.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Thats it !

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

But what If your car is OBD2a anyway?? For example my 1996 EJ9?? Are you just taking advantage of the correct size plugs, etc??

:( confused =P
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

ilya wrote:Not for my dizzy obd2a...
Also my car is with this plug (d14a3).
These cars are obd2a not SFI.
My car ECU is P3X as many other civics here.
The ECU makes what type of obd is the car not the plugs.

ilya

Post by ilya »

Yes I have P3Y (because the AT).

I understand that the harness for which OBD2A->OBD1, I can not use?

OBDx is not the type of ECU, a type Connectors ECU?

----------
turns out I have a way to solve.

I have to change immediately:
ECU
Dizzy
head

and turns, I can not change SEPARATELY, dizzy (for example D15B7) because my ECU does not support it.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=359 how2swap IM
EJ9 Russian Helper http://www.ej9.ru
Full Scheme SFI-OBD1 PDF [ENG]
SofRom 1.15 R2 - Chippest RTP Emulator like Hondata S300 and Moates Ostrich

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Ok to keep things more simple if you only got 2 grey plugs connected at your ecu your car's SFI .The green plug is a interior plug. Example in the picture
Afaik all 96-98 Civic EJ9 are SFI and 99+ is obd2b but their might be some exceptions out there ...?My 1998 Civic EJ9 is SFI and has the P3Y ECU (manual 5 speed)
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

What the use of that 2 plugs (grey and blue)?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

BETEK wrote:What the use of that 2 plugs (grey and blue)?

I dont know , they are plugged and they are there for a reason so my guess is that i think they are diagnostic service stekkers for the Honda Dealer so they can check your car for problems

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

I dont see why you can't use the boomslang harness though because it you can choose on the site wether you want OBD2a-->OBD1 or OBD2b-->OBD1.

What is it that makes them incompatable? Do the plugs not fit??
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Law_

Post by Law_ »

As i previously stated, D14A4 is not build for american market wich does make 99% of conversion harness available. our D14 (ignoring the Sfi or Obd2a discussion) has a different and unique wiring pattern. although the plugs are the same, the wires connected arent. that way, we cannot use Obd2a - Obd1 conversion harness, unless it specifies to be proper for D14 (as saxophonias said, it is very rare). The option we have is repinning like dodo (transforming in Obd1 manually), building a proper conversion harness (like Dodo also did before), or buying a entire harness from a D16Y7, D16Y8... and a dizzy, an ECU and a custom conversion harness. Lot cleaner, lot easier and you dont need to stop the car for one or more weeks. Cheers