D14 obd1 conversion => D16y7 ?

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
mynameisowen

Re: D14 obd1 conversion => D16y7 ?

Post by mynameisowen »

Ah, I see. Well I have a dizzy and ECU from a D15B7 which is OBD1. So if I got a complete D16Y8 engine loom I could change to OBD1 with no problems?? Im guessing it might be safer to use a loom from a D15B7.

These "custom harness's" are they what nick mentioned earlier? Where can I get one??

Thanks man
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

mynameisowen wrote:Ah, I see. Well I have a dizzy and ECU from a D15B7 which is OBD1. So if I got a complete D16Y8 engine loom I could change to OBD1 with no problems?? Im guessing it might be safer to use a loom from a D15B7.

These "custom harness's" are they what nick mentioned earlier? Where can I get one??

Thanks man

The interior loom plugs of the d15b7 don't match your EJ9 interior plugs. Rywire.com sells conversion harness's and others too.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

ilya

Post by ilya »

devil, SFI .... This greatly hinders my work.

SFI - the cylinders working in pairs 14-23.
OBDx - They work 1.3.2.4 (it seems).

seems to have to make a new wiring(harness), and make new firmware for P28. devil.
I want to put on my EJ9 - dizzy D15B7. but I do not know if I need it?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=359 how2swap IM
EJ9 Russian Helper http://www.ej9.ru
Full Scheme SFI-OBD1 PDF [ENG]
SofRom 1.15 R2 - Chippest RTP Emulator like Hondata S300 and Moates Ostrich

Law_

Post by Law_ »

To convert to OBD1 you need new dizzy. injectors will work in sequence, so dizzy must be changed.
when you change to OBD1, you dont need new firmware to P28. Cheers

ilya

Post by ilya »

Law_ wrote:you dont need new firmware to P28. Cheers
sure? u try it?)
and i have new dizzy!) d15b7, not installed yet. price - one boutle limonade)))

Law_

Post by Law_ »

What a great price !
Sorry i miss understood, you do need new firmware, in order to work perfectly well.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Sorry for my absence, but at least now I have time to read topics instead of just skim them ;).

Nick: your D16Y7 loom idea is very good and will work. Actually I've done/helped a few cars for Honderdelen this way since he always has enough D16Y7 looms lying around.

Now this works almost except for: the green connector at the ECU. This one can be pinned differently sometimes and has caused some trouble in the past. Make sure your D16Y7 loom matches on that connector and you are good to go.

To come back to the question of the blue and grey connector. They are not service connectors. Look where those are located, under the IM above the oil filter, nobody is gonna reach there. What those are instead is a bunch of splitters. You'll notice most wires going to these splitters have the same color (yellow/black or green/black). These are ground and battery signals being splitted. I believe IGP2, SG2 and perhaps VCC2 (not sure) are splitted there and some other signals which are needed on multiple locations in the loom.

Before the '96 Civics, these splits were made in the loom self and you could not locate the split without tearing the loom apart. Now probably for better quality they made these splitters (btw a 3rd splitter is located near the ECU to split injector wires!). But unfortunatly these splitters sometimes brake down themselfs...

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

I installed the d16y7 engine harnas today toghether with the Conversion harnas from rywire for the distributor and the ecu.It works fine ! I did some minor modifications on the engine harnas for the intake manifold plugs cause they are further apart.Also the conversion harnas had the iacv signal wire on a other pin.I just repinned that wire on the oem connector and everything was fine.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

ilya

Post by ilya »

Hello, you insatll obd1-ecu? u swaped head vtec also?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

ilya wrote:Hello, you insatll obd1-ecu? u swaped head vtec also?
No i am using Stock D14 head and engine ,i only have swapped the intake manifold and ignition to obd1.And yes i am using a obd1 ecu.