D14 obd1 conversion => D16y7 ?

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
hondaNickx

D14 obd1 conversion => D16y7 ?

Post by hondaNickx »

Ok i keep getting trouble with a wire that gives a bad contact somewhere in the engine wire harnas.Can't find the problem so i'm about to make a new conversion harnas.In search to get a new obd1 conversion done on my D14 engine i came across Rywire's website and got this idea...

Couldn't we use a D16y7 engine harnas ?The pins are on the same location and i allready checked the interior plugs and they are identical and have the same wire colors .It's much easier cause you can use a obd1 conversion harnas at the ecu ,and there are even conversion harnasses available for the distributor to obd1.No need to solder ,just use conversion plugs this will keep soldered wires from braking and making bad contact.The only thing you need to do is extend the wires a little for the intake manifold swap and convert the iacv plug.Injectors , alternator ,and every other plugs are the same as the D14 uses.
Imo much easier cause i hate electronics.
Could somebody confirm this is correct or am i forgetting something?

Now that i'm thinking about it you could even use a D16y8 engine harnas out of a 96 -99 civic coupe EX and you wouldn't have to extend the wires for the intake manifold.But that one does use a knock sensor the Y7 doesn't like the d14.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

ilya

Re: D14 obd1 conversion => D16y7 ?

Post by ilya »

Hi MAN,
If I understand u correctly.

do you have CIVIC <99 GEN6.1?

But you want to change D16Y7, and this is> 99 GEN6.2.

there set OBD2B.

Unlike OBD1, there is immobilizer. You can withdraw?

as in OBD2B - two lambda probe. knock sensor (I know that there are, but I do not know what it is. I know that there are devices blende).

I think you described it right, I have seen many schemes for 1994-2000, 5 and 6 generations of CIVIC. all similar.

problem OBD2B ECU - no flash, expensive, difficult. I refused P2P although for me it was ideal.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=359 how2swap IM
EJ9 Russian Helper http://www.ej9.ru
Full Scheme SFI-OBD1 PDF [ENG]
SofRom 1.15 R2 - Chippest RTP Emulator like Hondata S300 and Moates Ostrich

Law_

Post by Law_ »

You can do it. I already had discussed this somewhere in electronics section. You can use either D16Y7 or D16Y8 harness and just buy conversion harness later, of course it is much more expensive but it pays for simplicity. My only doubt when using the D16Y7 harness is the dizzy plug. I'll do it this way after giving up repinning because of the work it is ! Cheers

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Ok thx and sorry man i didn't noticed you allready talked about this.
I did the repinning 2 times 1 of them was succesfull and i'm also giving up on it.A lot of work ,to messy and a lot of wires soldered together which i hate cause it comprises durability.I drove around for 1.5 years and took out the engine harnass 1 time and i allready had a wire that failed somewhere.Not to say soldering doesn't last but you really need to be carefull in what you do with those wires.

The less you need to solder the better! Rywire makes Distributor conversion harnases to convert your obd2a ignition plugs to obd1.ImageThey cost $35.
You can order them directly from their website and they also ship international.
Ecu Conversion harnas from obd2a to obd1 only cost $75 on their website,a lot cheaper then boomslang and just as good.
For me this is much safer and better to convert to obd1 ,why risk all that soldering if you can keep things simple,oem and solid ?Can't even understand why this hasn't come up earlier in the first place...?This is something that should be added to the main Obd1 swap topic .I know a lot of people that don't want to do the obd1 swap cause all of the work and wires that get involved.They are afraid to get it wrong (so am i ).This solution is a lot easier and anybody can switch a engine harnas ,it takes some time but it's just pulling plugs and som minor screws.

A d16y7 engine harnas cost about 20-30euro from a guy around here that breaks down honda's.Conversion harnas cost $75 and distributor harnass $35 = $110 +shipping $40 = $150 ~ 120euro +30euro = ~150euro
That's about the same cost or even less as some people ask to convert your D14 engine harnas to obd1 And not even 1 cable is soldered.
I'm pretty sure this wil work and if it does i'll let you guys know ;)
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Yes it does work definitly ! Dodo refered it on somewhere as a possibility and i know at least one guy that made it. It is definitly more simple. I will also start to gather the parts ;) Good luck man ! :D

ilya

Post by ilya »

Not for my dizzy obd2a...

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

ilya wrote:Not for my dizzy obd2a...
That's a 96-98 distributor from a D14a4/D14a3 right ? That isn't obd2a it's SFI.You need to convert to obd1 and use a d15b7 distributor

@ Law thx for the confirmation ,now i can get started again :D .

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Ilya, our dizzys are special =) different from almost everything !
you can also use D16Y8 or D16Z6 dizzy. Cheers

ilya

Post by ilya »

SFI (Simplified Fuel injection)? well. this is the direction for new knowledge, new search. damn .... :evil:

yes it D14A4.

I have a D16Z6 HEAD + D16Z6 DIZZY. but I do not know the value of wires for my DIZZY. No description.

Law_ wrote:Ilya, our dizzys are special =) different from almost everything !
you can also use D16Y8 or D16Z6 dizzy. Cheers
with D14 head? or with swap?

LAW, u swap dizzy? you know what wire to what is necessary?

i

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

I have been planning on using the boomslang conversion harness all this time but I PM'ed joris and this is what he said:

"That will not work since we have no OBD2a... it is a special case which Boomslang does not make.

If you want to get the correct plugs buy a OBD1 to OBD1 extension harnass, this gives all the right plugs but you still need to re-order the entire wireing yourself."

Unless I mis-understood him or he mis-understood me then It seems that you cant use these harness's. Although I still dont understand why not. Hopefully he can come on and clarify. If it works then I will deffinately be buying them as I dont have the time/skill to properly re-wire all these things.

@ Ilya, I have the same 1996-1998 EJ9 as you, like joris, law and me you will have to get an OBD1 dizzy. Dizzy code for the D15B7 (OBD1) dizzy is TD4-1U. This is the one I have and it has two plugs like the picture nick posted earlier.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete