OBD 1 compatible ignition ?

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
DaWaN

OBD 1 compatible ignition ?

Post by DaWaN »

Hi there,

I want to do a OBD-I conversion on my EJ9.
For that conversion I now have a EK3 wiring loom with a OBD2a ignition plug and a OBD-I ignition from a D15B7.
Now I was thinking, ain't using the TD 80U from the EK3 much easier ? Also the TD 80U is cheaper.

So my question is, does a TD 80U work with a OBD-I ECU ? And maybe for other people, which ignitions apart from all the original OBD-I ignitions do work aswell?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: OBD 1 compatible ignition ?

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Yeah that would work, but getting it cheaper is an exception to me...

Ehm the types that work.... well electronically speaking most ignitions with 8 or 9 wires total from OBD1 and OBD2 should work. OBD0 does not work since the CKP sensor has a pulse too many or too little. Most ignitions with less than 8 or 9 wires have no CKP sensor or no CYP sensor. The diff between 8 en 9 wires is the rev counter signal which misses in the 8-wire case. The rev counter signal is produced by the ECU in these cars, but can be tapped from the ICM signal when using another ECU.

On top of that the baseplate needs to be the same... most baseplates are all the same for D-series engines, but D16Z6/Z9 is the exception to that. I think basically each engine line has its own baseplate. So don;t take a non-D-series.

And all this info should come together with dizzy type numbers, but other than TD40-U (D152/B7 7 wires, does not work), TD41-U (D15B7), TD42-U (D16Z6/Z9 that does not fit directly on D14 head) I do not know...