Ecu help

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
cad civic mechanic

Re: Ecu help

Post by cad civic mechanic »

Betek think you are correct on this one if memory serves me right me and jorris realised this about a year ago. The car is a 5 door MB6 chassis, i shall look through my past threads on my intro to confirm this. Well spotted ;)
Dont slack her till you wreck her, horse on regardless

Tommytechno18

Post by Tommytechno18 »

Ok I bought a obd2-b conversion harness, gunna plug it in with the p28 ecu, swap the wires off my riacv to my iacv, and that's it yea? also how do I read fault codes? At the moment I have a 16pin plug... I take it that won't work with obd1? Cheers. Tom

Tommytechno18

Post by Tommytechno18 »

Anyone? Also someone told me I need to chip the p28 to run my 1.4, otherwise my a/f ratio will be wrong. Is that correct? Thanks.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

You should be able to run your D14 using the p28 basemap but I pretty sure you'll end up running rich (to the detriment of your cat and fuel economy). I plan on doing the same thing and then getting it mapped properly (if this is what you mean by chipped) when I can afford it.

However I would send a PM to Joris or wait for him to see this thread before you make a decision.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Tommytechno18

Post by Tommytechno18 »

Cheers, il be happy along as it runs for now, and I don't have a cat anymore :D (having a boss who is a MOT tester can have it's perks) any ideas about what distributor I use? Il be running a d16z6 head, someone said my original will work as it's obd2b, however only one bolt will line up, is that true? Thanks a lot, Tom.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Tommytechno18 wrote:Cheers, il be happy along as it runs for now, and I don't have a cat anymore :D (having a boss who is a MOT tester can have it's perks) any ideas about what distributor I use? Il be running a d16z6 head, someone said my original will work as it's obd2b, however only one bolt will line up, is that true? Thanks a lot, Tom.
Again dodo is the don when it comes to these things =P But off the top of my head I think you can use it with the bolt not lining up.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

cad civic mechanic

Post by cad civic mechanic »

Tommytechno18 wrote:Ok I bought a obd2-b conversion harness, gunna plug it in with the p28 ecu, swap the wires off my riacv to my iacv, and that's it yea? also how do I read fault codes? At the moment I have a 16pin plug... I take it that won't work with obd1? Cheers. Tom
I think you can get the fault codes to read out on the dash by shorting the two pin service connector with a piece of wire. The Connector is located behind the passenger side kick pannel. As far as im aware the codes are read out by blinking the service light in the dash cluster a number of times. I.E if the code was 23 the light blinks twice corresponding to the number two, there them will be a pause for a few seconds and it will then blink three times corresponding to the number three, hence fault code twenty three. If there is another code present there will be a pause of up to ten second then the next code will be read the same way as above. The man to ask would be jorris (dodo) pm him or wait for him to view this post. Good luck
Dont slack her till you wreck her, horse on regardless

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Ow man I got a lot of explaining to do I see...

See which question I remembered along the way:
About re-pinning, forget it, the pins are different! Just hook up the OBD2b -> OBD1 harnass and you should be fine. Though your 16-pin comment worries me? How did the pin layout look like at first? Compare it to my SFi, OBD2a and OBD2b pinouts on my site if you are not sure. One of those 3 should match for over 95%.

Chipping... yup that is needed. P28 ECU actually has ignition maps that wont work fine with the stock D14. My car initially ran completely crap with that setup. On the other hand getting P06 ECU is much closer to what you need now...

Dizzy, it either lines up all 3 holes or none. My setup actually does not line up since I mixed normal bolt patern (most D-series) with D16Z6/Z9 patern which is different. I took the D16Z6 rocker-arm assembly to have one bolt line up... which totally wear out and now only sits on a bolt + nuts I put through while the dizzy hangs a bit oblique... *sigh*.

Now what is the deal with dizzies? The D16Z6/Z9 dizzy actually is timed differently with its camshaft. I run a D16Z6 camshaft (well considering timing, its actually from Skunk2) in a D16Y8 head, that is my misstake. A D16Y8 dizzy would work, but would always be around 10 deg of timing wrong since I can't adjust it enough.

Bottom line, if you keep the D14 cam and dizzy for now it works perfectly. Only bother this once you insert D16Z6/Z9 cams. Putting a D16Y8 cam is the best choice in that case since the dizzy can stay the D14.

For now I stop answering questions and flame that you should properly introduce yourself in the newbies corner as the forum rules specify (somewhere does'nt it?) ;) and welcome after that.

pardizzle21

Post by pardizzle21 »

re dizzys and cams
Does anyone have any information on what dizzy i would need for the d14z2 1999 if I were to do the obd1 swap and fit vtec head? Im planning to fit a d16z6 head and camshaft, but have heard that because my car is obd2b I wont need to change my dizzy? any help appreciated im dying to do the swap!!! :cry:
tom

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Indeed... in theory they dizzy will work, alle sensors are ok. Only problem you might have is setting the timing right. The fail-safe solution is to go for D16Y8 head and cams. Problem with the D16Z6 head is that physically the dizzy does not fit and the cam has a differently timed slot for the dizzy to fit in. It's off with some 10 to 20 degrees cam.