the ignition

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
lakaiD14

the ignition

Post by lakaiD14 »

in our workshop I have build a D16a9 engine into a honda crx

the engine was converted for obd1 (because the engine was placed in a 5th gen civic coupe).

our D14 engine's with obd1 swap use a TD41u ignition.
but the obd1 conversion on the D16a9 enigne used a TD43U ignition.....

the main difference between the 2 engines is that the D16a9is a DOHC engine and the D14a4is a SOHC engine.

my ignition has had its best and the TD43U ignition on our workshops's shelf is only 2 months old, my question is:

can i use this ignition to (because this one is being used for obd1 setups also and also on D-serie engines, but only with DOHC engines as far as i know.

it saves me a lot of money if i can use this one, because i'm building an entire new engine and it is nice to know that i have a proper iginition.
"some have dreams, mine is reality :P"

ilya

Re: the ignition

Post by ilya »

could u get some foto td-43u?
it fit to d14a4 or d16z6?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=359 how2swap IM
EJ9 Russian Helper http://www.ej9.ru
Full Scheme SFI-OBD1 PDF [ENG]
SofRom 1.15 R2 - Chippest RTP Emulator like Hondata S300 and Moates Ostrich

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I am afraid it is exclusive for the DOHC engines... all links I can find on google hint in that direction. Bart, just check out bolt pattern for a start. Probably that does not line up to start with.

Originally it seems to be the JDM ZC engine if I understand right (I hardly know if I am correct and what that engine actually had to offer).

On a side note Bart, if its just the module (as it often is), go to AKR and get a replacement for just over 60 euro for that, I can replace it for you if you need some help. Just say you are from HF and get a 10% discount there ;). Unfortunately AKR does not sponsor DU... come to think about it, since they do use and read this site (talked to them personally, they find my D14 guides pretty useful as do many other Honda tuning companies I understand) and they do a lot of shipping out products, they might be interested :mrgreen: .

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

on ebay i have found a better ignition (not MSD or something) but an upgraded version of the stock distributor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-COMP ... 900wt_1165

look at the specs of it i think it's worth trying. a second hand distributor with new rotor distributor cap an ignition module costs almost that much.

and back to the TD43-u, i had searched some info too and indeed i cant find anything more than obd1 zc engine's

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

I think there is no better ignition (distributor and spark cords) than Genuine Honda ones.
I have heard about many no good working aftermarket distributors and spark wires

lakaiD14

Post by lakaiD14 »

i know,but the manufacturers discription tells it exceeds oem spec,but it can be wrong i don't know.

but have u seen the specs of the ignition/distributor, 45k volts displacement to your sparkplug, original distributor has something around 20/30k volts.

so this setup is handy if you want to run a hotter iginition or iridium sparkplugs

i suppose

flimmer

Post by flimmer »

Sounds great.

Does anyone have tryed it?